CHAPTER FIVE - PENGUINS

FRIDAY 

Cigarettes often gives Vehren somber memories from his childhood. The smell of its toxins are soothing to him, as his mother and grandmother use to smoke. Vehren lifted the cigarette to his mouth and softly inhales nicotine. A brace wrapped in cheetah bandaging covers his left wrist. He sits on his porch touching the ground listening to nearby nature. The Rochester Club is surrounded by dense forestry, tress cover the carport where his Challenger is parked. A red Dodge Avenger rolls around the corner, circling the other apartments and using the straighter road to speed.

The Dodge Avenger parks in front of Vehren's apartment and two men get out, Jack Schaefer and a stranger. They stroll up the sidewalk having a loud conversation. The dark skinned male alpha in an orange jumpsuit spoke the loudest. "I fuck with Shannon, but she has a problem."

"What's that?" Jack asks. His eyes land on the omega sitting on his porch. They connect eyes for a brief moment. The other alpha looks in Vehren's direction too, barely lingering on the stare.

"Molly. She's constantly strung out."

"Isn't that baby meth?" Jack opens the door.

"You're not entirely wrong." They enter the building, cutting the conversation. Vehren flicks out the cigarette and smoked again. He was aiming to go inside, until the door opened. Jack came back out, stopping halfway down the sidewalk to swing around to Vehren's apartment.

"Vehren."

I stop, looking back at Jack. "Hey."

"How are you?"

I bite my lower lip. "Good. About to pick up Eris. I see you have company too."

"His name is Richie. He's my best friend."

"Does he know?"

"I rather he didn't."

I shake my head. "Good luck with that."

"What do you mean?"

"You should surround yourself with people who love you for who you are."

"Like you?" Jack smiles.

I smile with him. My phone buzzes in my pocket, and I knew who it was. "I gotta go."

"So do I. I told him I had to get some paper from the car." Jack heads to his dodge, waving goodbye to me. Apart of me wished he kissed me.

"Bye." I wave, going inside and shutting the patio door.

E

ris was playing in the yard when I arrived to Sariyah's house. I park in the driveway, stepping out of Coachella with my eyes on Moeko. She stood on the porch with her arms folded, Eris' backpack on her shoulder. Eris runs to me upon stepping out, wrapping her arms around my legs. I brush her hair with my fingertips. "Ready to go, sweetie?"

"Yeah!" Eris nods fast.

Moeko comes down from the porch, handing me her backpack. "What happened to your wrist?"

I look down as if I didn't know the cast was there. "I slipped off the pole and hit the ground hard."

"Ouch. Are you able to dance?"

"No, not for three weeks. I have enough in savings to keep me and y'all afloat."

"Geez, I'm really sorry."

I shrug. "Is what it is." My eyes jet down to Eris. "Are you sure you wanna go to the zoo? It might be too much fun."

"Yes!" Eris jumps around. "Zoo! Zoo!"