Chapter Fifteen

The old farmhouse stairs creak as Joel walks back down them, hitting the main level with a thud. I can see through the shadows of the night that his hair is wet and he changed his clothes from the flannel he was wearing. Averting my gaze, I look back down to my hands, staring at how red they are after I scrubbed them raw.

Joel takes a seat next to me on the old couch, the cushions sink with his weight. I smell the homemade soap on him as well, appreciating the minty and slightly lemony scent of it. Although I can still smell Joel with a hint of leather. The two of us sit in silence, our knees almost brushing each other's due to the small size of the couch. For how large this house is, the couch size sure does not match. But perhaps the other furniture in here was used for other purposes such as firewood, but who knows.

My gaze ends up landing on the empty wall with nails sticking out of it. Swallowing hard with a shaky breath, I try to get myself to focus on saying a silent prayer for the couple who died here tonight. They were just trying to protect their farm, the place they probably spent most of their lives. Had I not suggested we stay here tonight, they'd probably be indulging in their bottle of wine on the table and having another peaceful night.

From the couch I can see where their glasses still stand as a silent reminder of them. I can hide the photos, I can dump the wine, but their presence will remain. Luckily, we're only staying here for a night and then we can be on our way. But the fact that they died for us to have somewhere to sleep for just a single night weighs on me heavily.

Suddenly, the couch begins feeling like it's sucking me in and I stand up with a start, causing Joel to jump beside of me. With determination, I grab the bottle of wine along with the two glasses on the table and open the front door. Once I reach the banister of the porch I tip the everything upside down and listen as the wine wets the grass below.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the dead man's body laying on the ground and like the wine, my tears fall freely. Disgust with myself takes over me, and I set the bottle and glasses on the porch step. I approach the man's body and grab both of his arms, trying my best to drag him into the barn. His body leaves a trail on the Earth as it's hauled away from the pool of congealing blood.

My attention turns to the woman, and the moonlight illuminates her body. A gag wretches my body as I notice that her neck has been broken and her head lies at an unnatural angle. Her eyes are still open, but glazed over with milky white. My hands steady myself on my knees and I sob over the woman's body. Flashes of the children in the QZ come to mind, all of their deaths unnatural and disturbing as well.

"I'm sorry, I am so sorry." Strained whispers come in between my sobs.

I allow myself to feel sorrow for the woman and her husband. Though I didn't know them, I'm sure they were trying their best to survive this world with each other. Knowing I owe her this decency, I take her to the barn and lay her next to her husband, trying my best to lay them in a respectful manner. My nose sniffles as I join their hands together, so that they may rest peacefully with one another.

Before I close the barn door, there's one more thing I want to do for them. I make my way back to the house, grabbing the wine glasses on my way back and putting them in the sink. My bag lays against the empty wall where Joel must have put it as I was showering, and I find the makeshift bouquet of flowers I made a few days ago. The sun has dried them out, but their colors remain. Joel's eyes are on me and I avoid making eye contact at all cost before I dip back out to the barn again. The flower's stems are nestled in the couple's hands and I step back and nod, satisfied. The barn door closes with a familiar squeal.

Joel is still on the couch when I step through the front door, right where I left him. Nonchalantly, I dry my cheeks and clear my throat,

"I saw a bed upstairs, you can have it." I offer, knowing that even if I do sleep tonight, my nightmares will be haunted with death. The moonlight provides soft white light in the home, and I watch as Joel stands and walks over to me, his figure towering over me.