Chapter 13

A few hours had gone by and it was almost 7:00 pm. The makeup artist and hairstylist were done and I couldn't even recognize myself.

I meant that in a good way.

I was alone in the room. Alessandro had gotten ready and was downstairs. I stared at the black dress that sat on the bed. I couldn't wear that. My scars would be out for the whole world to see. I checked the time and it was exactly 7:00pm on the dot and Alessandro had asked me to be ready by 7:45. I was pacing around the room nervously, thinking of what to do when Christy and Mary walked back in.

"You're still not dressed?" Christy said approaching me.

"I.. I" I stuttered

"You what Bella? Alessandro is waiting for you."

"I can't wear it." I stated

"And why is that? What's wrong with the dress?" She asked

"I.. j-just can't wear it." I said quickly, walking away from her and the dress. I saw the way she looked at Mary who approached me slowly and lead me to the couch.

"What's wrong Bella? Why can't you wear the dress? Is something wrong with it?"

I was contemplating telling them or not. It was almost time for the event and I needed a solution as soon as possible. But Aunt Theresa had asked me not to let anyone see my scars.

But if Alessandro came in here, he would make me wear the dress himself. So I would be better off telling them instead.

I answered. "It's not the dress, it's me."

"What do you mean it's you?" Christy asked

I looked at her then stood up and walked into the walk in closet, both of them following behind. I stood before the full length mirror inside and loosened the belt to my robe, letting it fall down to my waist and then I heard a gasp coming from one of them.

"Who did this to you?" Mary asked coming closer

"My.. f-family."

"Your own family did all this? Does Alessandro know?" Christy asked again.

I pulled my robe up and turned to face her immediately.
"He doesn't know and it has to remain that way."

"But this is abuse Bella. They need to be punished!"

"No they're my family. They're the only ones I've got.

"You have Alessandro, you have me and even Mary is here."

If only she knew the kind of relationship Alessandro and I shared.

I took Christy's hand in mine. "Just promise me you won't tell him."
"And you too Mary."

But she shook her head and took her hands out of mine. "I won't make a promise I can't keep Bella. We'll deal with this later but now, we need to get you ready."
"Mary could you please get my purse on the couch?" She added

Mary returned with a black purse and handed it over to Christy who opened it and pulled out a bottle of concealer.

******20minutes later.
"And, it's, done!" Christy exclaimed

I walked over to the mirror in the black dress and stared at my back. I couldn't see a single scar. It was like they were never in there to begin with. I looked back at Christy with a huge smile on my face. I could feel the tears about to escape the corner of my eyes.

"No, no, don't cry. You'll ruin your makeup." She said making me laugh.
"Now here are your shoes and purse." She added handing over a gold purse and black shoe to match.

I put the shoes on and with the purse in my hand I gave myself a final look in the mirror.
"You look absolutely stunning. Alessandro wouldn't be able to get his eyes of you." She said taking my hand and leading me out of the room, Mary following behind.
They both stood by the huge pillars at the top while I descended down the stairs. The sound of my heels on the marble floor caught the attention of Alessandro who was busy talking on the phone. I watched his gaze follow my every movement, till I got to the foot of the stairs and then our eyes locked. His eyes then traveled down my body and I stood there frozen, like a deer in the headlights. I tried to maintain a calm facade but it was hard not to feel self conscious under his gaze.
I watched him shake his head gently and nod. He gestured for the door and we both made our way out where his driver was waiting for us with a different car.

I think it's called a limousine.

Alessandro got in on the other side while the driver held the door on my side open for me and I got in.
Then he got into the car and revved the engine to life before driving off.
As usual Alessandro was busy on his phone while I stared at the buildings that passed by as we drove. I was also careful not to lean to much into the chair to avoid the concealer coming off on it. I had also noticed from the corner of my eye, the way Alessandro's looked at me once in a while.

It was going to be a long night!
********************