Chapter 28

I looked at Alessandro, my eyes pleading with him to tell me this was a dream. He met my gaze, his expression grim. "I'm so sorry, Bella," he said.

"You can't go to jail," I said, my voice trembling. "Th.. there must be something we can do."

"Shhh, calm down," Alessandro said, cupping my face in his palms, his voice soothing. But I couldn't calm down, I couldn't accept what was happening.

"There must be a misunderstanding," I said, my voice rising. "There's no way they can send you to jail. This is all a mistake." I could feel the panic rising within me, and I struggled to catch my breath. I knew I was losing control, but I couldn't seem to stop myself.

My life was only just starting to make meaning.

The lawyer walked over to where we stood.

"What's going on?" I heard Marco ask him. "Why are they sending Alessandro to jail?"

The lawyer turned to him, his face grave. "Loan sharking is a crime," he said. "Alessandro knew that if he took this case to court, the truth would surface." He added, his tone sympathetic.

I turned to look at Alessandro, my eyes pleading for an explanation. He had gone ahead with the plan even though he knew it could get him in trouble. "Why?" I whispered, my voice breaking. "Why did you do this?"

"Isn't there anything we can do?" I asked.

The lawyer shook his head. "No, I'm afraid not," he said. "Alessandro has already admitted to the crime in court. There's nothing we can do now."

It felt like the ground was falling from beneath me. "He was just trying to help me!"

The lawyer looked at me with sympathy. "I know, I'm sorry."

My head was spinning as I tried to process what was happening when I saw two officers put handcuffs on Alessandro and began to lead him away. "No!" I yelled, my voice breaking. "Y..you can't do this! He's innocent!"

Alessandro turned to look at me, his eyes filled with sorrow. "Bella, it's okay," he said, his voice calm despite the circumstances. "Everything will be fine."

But I couldn't accept it. "No, it's not okay!" I shouted. I clung to Alessandro's hands, my eyes filled with tears. I couldn't watch them take him away. "Please, Christy, Marco, do something!" I begged. "You have to help him!"

Christy looked at me, her eyes full of sadness. "Bella," she said, her voice gentle.
I felt like my world was falling apart, and I couldn't stop the tears from falling.

I stumbled back towards our lawyer, tears streaming down my face. "Please," I begged, "c..can I see the judge? I need to explain everything to her. I know she'll understand, she'll reverse her decision..."

The lawyer's expression was a mix of sorrow and pity. He shook his head, his eyes filled with a deep regret. "Mrs Rossi, I'm so sorry. It's not possible. The judge's decision is final. There's nothing we can do."

The lawyer's words were like a cold, harsh reality check. I was left with nothing but tears and a desperate hope that somehow, someway, this nightmare would end.
I collapsed into the chair beside me. My body had surrendered to the weight of my emotions, and my mind reeled with so many thoughts.

My life was finally starting to come together, only to be shattered once more. I had been waiting for something good to happen, but it was like chasing a dream that disappears.

I laughed. It seems like bad luck has been working overtime in my life.

I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder and I knew it was Christy. She was trying to offer comfort but I wasn't ready for it. It wasn't going to ease or undo my current situation. I turned to face her and slowly take her hands off, trying to convey that I needed a moment. She lingered for a while before walking back and I was grateful for her understanding.