A New Horizon

The next morning started like every other morning except I was home alone with Ally. Zoey was at her weekly yoga class in town. Father went out ‘golfing’ with his business pals at eight; he brought his suit case and all his work stuff, though. I was slightly behind in my chores because I had to help Ally who accidentally spilled her Bare Mineral Bronzer all over her white carpet. That set me back about two hours or so. Ally locked herself in her room so she could talk to her friends in private, but she left me with an over abundance of apologies.  

By the time I was finishing up on the main floor it was well past four-thirty. Ally came down now and again and offered to help but I waved her away. I was vacuuming the minuscule television room when a rap on the window made me jump.  

Spinning around, I saw Fox pressing his face against the recently washed window. I rolled my eyes and pushed the window open.

 “What is it? Can’t you see I’m busy?” 

“Oh, well, I’m sorry, Cinderella. Do you want me to come back later when you’ve found your fairy-godmother?” Fox teased as he leaned through the window sill. 

“Oh, ha ha. You are so funny.” I remarked sarcastically as I continued my vacuuming.  

“Aw, you know I’m just playing with you, Fall.” He soothed with the wave of a hand. He brushed his fingers through his black hair that hung above his humorous green eyes. 

“So what’s up, anyway?” I questioned over the buzz of the vacuum. 

“Well, you didn’t come down, so I thought I’d come up instead. I mean, I’ve only been up here a few times and that was only to earn a few bucks here and there.” Fox retorted. 

“Not much up here but a bunch of dust bunnies and a few chairs.” I mumbled.

 “True, true, but you don’t have to live in a tiny cabin with the ever-snoring Clayton who could drown out the sound of stampeding elephants.” 

I chuckled remembering how, last night, we could heard his snore the cabin walls. “I guess you’re right.” 

“You bet, I am!” 

“Beth!” Sang out Ally’s cheery voice as she flittered down the stairs. My spirit dropped into my

stomach. 

“I’d keep your shirt on around this one if I were you.” I muttered slyly.  

As soon as Ally turned the corner in her pink P.J boxer shorts and too small tank, she froze, taking in the scene. “Oh...Hello.” A sweet, innocent smile curled on her deftly applied lip-glossed lips.  

“Ally, Damian. Damian, Ally.” I introduced timidly. 

“Damian…” Ally started twirling a stand of her long blonde hair around her polished finger.  

“You can call me Fox.” He prompted with a charming flash of his teeth.