one.

(    IRL!    )

"NOVALEE," swaggers voice filled the slight silence that over took the boys in the call. he was talking in game, as the little icon indicated in the bottom of the screen, "hey novalee. do you have a mic?"

"yeah, nova. can i call you nova?" fitz joined in, "too bad. i'm gonna do it anyway!"

john rolled his eyes, but still chuckled nonetheless along with mccreamy. it was getting to that part of the recording where he was getting pissed at the game and slightly annoyed, but was still able to joke around without seeming like a dick. fun times we have here!

his hands rested on his desk, thumbs curled over to adjust the rings on either of his fingers. he wasn't currently playing... nor were some of the boys in the call because they were dead. swagger, of course, was spectating novalee. a random placed into their team.

"you know, nova, i feel like we should work on teamwork here. you- you're just- you haven't been communicating lately." swagger expressed over comms, fake worry in his tone, "me and your mother are very worried."

"listen to your father, sweetie. come on, talk to us." fitz put on his placating a wild dog voice, which he always connected with a mother in their bits.

⊙ [TEAM] novalee: what the fuck

"no- no. nova, we talked about this! you cannot communicate through fuckin' notes and texts anymore!"

⊙ [TEAM] novalee: but daaddddd

"i don't want to hear it anymore!"

⊙ [TEAM] novalee: i hate u fine

though, as nova typed that in, they were shot and killed and ending the round. but anticipation was still high as they loaded back into spawn. john already had his hands back on his keyboard, buying what he needed with easy flicks of his mouse.

"you happy or what?" the new voice filtered through in which everyone in discord exploded. obviously not expecting the rough but feminine voice.

"well shit!" swagger chuckled, delighted surprise in his tone as he turned his character around to look at nova's before unmuting in game, "finally! now, apologize to your mother. you gave her quite the scare."

"just because you married her, dad, doesn't mean she's my mom!" she drawled, and john could hear the eyeroll in her tone. he couldn't help but laugh as they all moved away from spawn.

"young lady, she has raised you since you were four! that is no way to talk to her."

"honey- no, it's... it's alright. and i can handle myself, okay?" fitz held back a laugh as his character went through mid, "nova, i realize that we've been having a rough time lately..."

"oh now she notices. you lie to me all the time... brenda! of course we're having a rough time!"

"brenda? seriously?" john then spoke up, amusement terribly present in his voice as he moved through apartments, "out of all the shitty white mom names you chose brenda?"

"shut up! this fitz guys voice just sounds like a brenda." novalee laughed before a moment after a muffled 'fuck!' rang out. the icons in the top corner saying that she was killed.

"i do not sound like a brenda, that's just rude. i'd like to let you know i'm a karen, loud and proud!"

"yeah ok, 'lemme talk to your manager!' headass. shut the fuck up."

a chorus of laughter broke out into the in game voicechat, even if they lost the round once more. they went a couple rounds like this, just talking and joking around as they played around. and even winning some of those rounds.

only until mccreamy started to speak up, "nova, your name sounds really familiar."

"yeah? how come?"

"jay, are you trying hit on her? if so that's a horrible pick up line," john piped up, joking around, muting himself in game and asking on discord.

"very funny, no, i'm not. im serious! i swear i've seen her name around somewhere," mccreamy did the same before tuning back in and repeating his last statement to her.

"huh, interesting. well, there used to be this nova youtuber that was popular in 2017. could be them?" her tone of voice seemed amused, but well concealed. so it completely went over the boys heads.

"hm. maybe. anyway, do you think i could add you as a friend? it'd be fun to play with you again."

"okay, now jay is definitely trying to hit on her," fitz laughed in the discord call, "this is not the time for gamer girls man! it's 2023!"

mccreamy didn't respond as nova responded nonchalantly, "i mean... sure. why not. i need more friends anyway. i'm," and she sniffed dramatically into her mic as if she was crying, "i'm a bit lonely guys."

"L, sucks to suck," john spoke and it drew out a laugh out of nova. he felt strangely accomplished at that, not that he didn't think he wasn't funny or anything, "but since i'm such a nice guy, would it be okay if i added you too?"

with confirmation, the boys all sent her a friend request and being accepted back. and as the final round ended, (their team had lost, nova made it a point to point it out) they all bid their goodbyes. and not too long after that, john had ended his recording and left the call. deciding to call it for the day, and would start editing tomorrow.