⁰⁰¹. 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘳𝘶𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘸

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
* . °•| 𝐒 𝐋 𝐎 𝐖 𝐏 𝐎 𝐈 𝐒 𝐎 𝐍 |•° . *
𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗢𝗡𝗘 !
𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘯𝘦, 𝘦𝘱𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘥𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘦
𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖒 𝖜𝖊𝖑𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖊
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

 *𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗢𝗡𝗘 !↳ 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘯𝘦, 𝘦𝘱𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘥𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘦❝ 𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖒 𝖜𝖊𝖑𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖊 ❞▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

.·:*¨ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ¨*:·.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐄𝐅 𝐎𝐅 𝐏𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐃 it best that Melani took a prolonged leave of absence. In all honesty, Melani thought it to be best too. It was hard to look at a gun the same way when the people that died around her always seemed to be at the end of a barrel. So how was she supposed to do her job if she couldn't even breathe when she sees a gun on another officer's hips, let alone the one she was supposed to wear with her?

Two months had passed since Mikey's funeral, and two months since Melani had moved an inch from her apartment. Every day was the same; sitting at home and watching episodes of Game of Thrones, at times even rewatching them after realizing she had zoned out. Cartons of various take-out meals were littered around the apartment, and a weird scent of old Chinese takeout mixed with the Mexican food Melani had ordered the other day lingered throughout the space. Her bed became anything she could throw a blanket over and fall asleep on. Most days it was the couch or the floor where Melani would fall asleep, her bed currently being occupied by a cardboard box that she avoided like the plague.

The contents of the box made Melani's heart wrench, the thought of going anywhere near it or looking inside of it made her want to throw up. Red duck tape sealed the lid of the box to its bottom as bolded letters of "EVIDENCE" were written on the sides, and a piece of paper was taped to the lid that held a list of the box's contents. A hoodie, a uniform shirt, dirtied cargo pants, a wallet filled with various cards but no cash, and last but not least, her gun.

When Melani was handed the evidence box from the night of Mikey's death, she didn't know what to do. In her hands laid some of the last bits of the man she looked up to, and she couldn't believe that it all fit in a box no bigger than a teenage puppy. Of course, Mikey's apartment was still filled to the brim with his belongings, but that all felt different from what he deemed most important to keep with him when he took his last breath.