7

As much as Piper enjoyed partying, this situation wasn't enjoyable. She felt very nervous and felt like everyone was looking at her. The solution to her discomfort? Shots. Pierre found it hysterical that she was living up to his theory, even though he didn't understand that the drinking was not for fun but to suppress fear. 

"Kiwi, slow down! I swear you've had seven shots in the last half hour." Alex called over the loud music.

"Shhh, let her cook Albono." Pierre laughed, waving off the other driver.

Piper wasn't saying much, just looking around and watching the others interacting. She was definitely past the point of rationality. She was watching Alonso talking to Perez, gesturing in her vague vicinity.

"What do you think he's saying about me," Piper said, pointing to Alonso. 

"I don't think he is talking about you, Pip," Emma said, chuckling.

"Well, I'm going over there to say hi," Piper said sarcastically.

"Piper, don't." Alex shouted following her.

"Sorry, Piper can't come to the phone right now, she's drunk and angry."

"Alonso, good racing today. Hope you aren't upset about that overtake, it's just racing pal." Piper said extending her hand to the older man.

"Pal? You didn't get that podium based on talent. That was beginner's luck. Lets just face it, you don't belong here."

"Excuse me."

"If you weren't female, or  from a famous racing family, you wouldn't be here."

"Are you threatened by me, Fernando?"

"I could never be threatened by a woman."

"It's giving insecure masculinity."

"What."

"You haven't had a podium since 2021, and before that 2014. So obviously me getting a podium in my second F1 race makes you nervous."

"Look, I'm not afraid of you little girl."

"If you're going to call me little girl, then I may as well break it to you. You're old." Piper paused. "Old, washed up and threatened."

"I could care less about you sweetheart."

"Does demeaning me make you feel better."

"No, but putting you in your place feels quite good."

Piper was getting quite fired up. She was finally shouting. "Okay listen Grandpa! I've beaten you twice, in the two races I've been in, and I intend to keep beating you."

Alonso began calling her a bitch, and saying things that should not be deemed to be repeated.

"Fernando, is that sort of language necessary?" Alex said, walking up behind Piper. 

"Your teammate is a real bitch, someone should muzzle her."

"Alonso, look, I get it. You're freaked out by how great Piper is. There's no need to be so rude."

"Just wait. Her luck will run out." With that, Alonso walked away from the pair, and left the club.

"You okay, Kiwi?"

"I just need a minute."

Piper made a beeline for the balcony, dodging Emma trying to talk to her. Piper hated this, she hated confrontation, she hated fights, she hated being looked at how everyone was looking at her. She wasn't a hot head, she didn't get into arguments, but the seven tequila shots obviously provoked some unknown part of her. Once Piper had made it through the doors to the balcony, she found a quiet spot and stared at the view. A few quiet tears slipped out, while she contemplated how this one incident might make her look to her fellow drivers. She didn't want a reputation as a hothead, or as a cry baby. She was contemplating why Alonso got to her so much. Realistically, it had something to do with her father. His constant criticism and deprecation of her achievements. Alonso spoke about her just like her father always had.