15

On Monday, Piper did what she always did on a post-race Monday. Sleep, coffee, read, etc. Just rest and regroup. Her Tuesday was far less relaxing. She went for a run along the coast and then headed back to the flat to have a quick shower before going to meet Charles. He had organised for his mother to fix Piper's hair, and get all the dye out, and he was going to meet her outside the coffee shop around the corner from his mother's salon.  

"Hey Pip, I got a coffee for you, seeing as you were running late."

"Sorry, I met Lando outside the apartment building, he was feeling very talkative."

"It's fine, I just don't want to be late for Maman."

"Then what are we doing just standing here?" Piper said, grabbing the coffee out of his hand.

It was a five-minute walk to Pascale's salon, which Piper complained about the  whole time. Piper hung back while Charles greeted his mother. 

"Piper, ça va? Oh gosh, we fix this hair maintenant!"

"Is it really that bad?" Piper said with wide eyes.

"It's not you, chéri. It does not suit your aura, but I will fix " she said, taking her hand and leading her towards the chair. Piper turned around and looked at Charles scared. Charles just shrugged, mouthing at least it's free.

"So, how long have you been cutting hair?" 

"A long time, too long to remember. Charles only gets good haircuts from me, ah Charles" She said looking over her shoulder.

"Is the red coming out? Please tell me the red is coming out! I can't show up to this prada meeting looking like a clown."

"It is, and even if it wasn't you'd be a pretty clown, Chéri" Pascale said as shhe rinsed her hair.

"MAMAN" Charles shouted.

"Quoi? Elle serait une jolie clown, elle est très jolie!" Pascale laughed.

(What? She would be a pretty clown, she is very pretty!)

"Maman, elle parle français."

(Mum, she speaks french)

"oh oups, I hope I didn't embarrass you, Piper." Pascale giggled.

"No, it's fine Pascale, thank you!"

"You can call me Maman, Pierre does, all Charles' friends do"

"Is it okay if I stick to Pascale for now, my mother would slap me if she knew I wasn't calling you Mrs Leclerc."

"Ah, you've been raised well, unlike Pierre, I think that boy wants to sleep with me" Pascale said confidently.

"Maman, c'mon!" Charles said putting his head in his hands embarrassed.

Pascale wouldn't let Piper look in the mirror until she was completely finished. She had given her a quick trim and blow dry after getting all the red out. 

"Voilà, do you like?" Pascale said showing Piper her hair in the mirror.

"Wow, Pascale, thank you so much!"

"Those Prada ladies will love you, it looks great!" Charles said enthusiastically.

"What are you doing for the rest of the day, Piper?" Pascale asked with a quizzical look.

"Nothing, I'm just going to go to the supermarket."

"Ah, non, Charles, go show her the dolphins! Do you like dolphins Piper? Charles can take you on the boat."

"Oh, I don't want to be a hassle" Piper said at the exact same time as Charles said "Maman, Piper doesn't want to spend all her time here with me, she has other friends!"