10

Piper sat at the kitchen table in her mother's house, with her knees tucked up to her chest and her head resting on her knees. She was half-hearted, watching the television, which was several metres away in the lounge. It was set to the New Zealand Breakfast News.

"Piper McLaren was reportedly to injured to perform interviews last night after crashing in the Melbourne GP. However, photos and videos of the young woman are circling social media this morning, showing her arriving at Auckland International Airport late last night. The question is then raised, why was she too injured to perform her media duties but not bad enough to stop her from catching the next flight? What do you think, John?"

"Well, Hillary, I think she's running from the shame; after a terrible performance this weekend, her team probably has some ques-"

The television shut off with a click.

"That's enough of that." Piper's mother said with her hands on her hips.

"I was watching that." Piper said stridently.

"I am not going to let my own torture herself, or wallow in self pity, or whatever it is you're doing."

Piper huffed, pushing her legs away and standing up. She walked into the kitchen to get some coffee, hoping her mother wouldn't follow. 

"Don't walk away from me Pippy."

"I just don't want to talk about it Mum. We talked about it enough last night."

"I don't want to talk about, I want you to just put it behind you. You fucked up, who cares, shit happens."

"I feel like most mothers don't swear this much."

"Most mothers aren't me."

Piper smiled, laughing slightly at her mother. She took her mug of coffee and settled on the sofa in the lounge. It was almost 9, Piper was still in her pyjamas, and she had no plan to change. She decided that it was finally time to turn her phone back on. She had received several messages, as well as tons of comments on social media. She decided she would open her social media, not wanting to process those comments. So instead she opened her messages.

Emma

Hey baby, hope you're doing okay. I love you. Have a nice time with your Mum, and message me if you need!

Seb

Shit races happen, just got to keep your head up Pipsqueak

Charles

Are you okay? I heard you skipped media because you were injured. I hope you're doing okay. Let me know.

Mick

Emma told Seb you aren't hurt, and then he told me so that's good, but I'm sure you're upset. You know I'm here when you want to talk.

Liam

I love you Speedy, hope you're okay.

Your mum called me, glad you're okay. 

Please don't hate me for whats about to happen.

To Emma:

Hey Ems, I'm okay. Just curled up on the couch. Missing you x.

To Seb:

Thank you Seb. Your support means a lot.

To Charles:

I'm fine, just needed to get out of there. Congratulations on your win though.