Day 2: "11:59"

Prompt:
•A Broken Clock
•"I never meant to hurt you"
•Zombie Apocalypse AU

In an apocalyptic world, nothing else matter aside from living. On one normal day, suddenly the world turned for the worst when the news of a zombie outbreak came through.

At first, it was regarded as a joke and some sick prank by the government but soon enough they were proven wrong. No country was spared from the disaster.

Now,10 years after the apocalypse began and humanity is dying. If not eaten by the zombies then by other factors such as starvation,accident,murder,etc. Humanity had lost all hopes of reviving itself.

Unlike in those science fiction zombie movies, people did not achieve a superpower or abilities to counterattack the zombies. Even now, the remaining humanity has been surviving only with their own skills and wit.

In the midst of it all, two middle aged men huddled against each other inside an empty house they call their home. They both were tired and sick of fighting nonstop for the last decade.

Their deep sunken eyes had showed just how much burden was placed on their shoulder as the remaining trace of humanity left.

They're both from different country and status, yet they found solace in each other's presence. When they're with the other, they feel that it's worth to continue surviving this worthless life.

However, even then none of them denies the feeling of wanting to end it all for good, to stop fighting for their life. They both wanted to rest. Preferably forever.

"Rok Soo." Cale, the red haired 40 years old said.

"Hmn?" Rok Soo, the black haired 36 years old answered.

"...If..If we can escape this wretched place, away from this damn apocalypse where we can do whatever the hell we want, what do you want to do?"

"Don't ask something so obvious, I'll be a slacker of course."

"Even when the world is a peaceful place?" Cale asked amused.

"Especially when the world is a peaceful place." Rok Soo answered firmly as he nodded.

They hold each other's hand, seeking comfort in the warmth the other provided. Right now, even though just outside the door they're leaning on is swarmed with zombies, on the inside is silent.

They can't hold on much longer, they know. Not with the lack of food available and the injuries they bore. Not only that, the house they're in currently is full of zombies sans for the room they're in. Even so, they bask in whatever is left for them to enjoy.

"Look. It's almost 12.." Rok Soo quietly said as he pointed at the cracked clock at the wall.The clock's hand doesn't move as it stopped right at 11:59.

"It's broken though.." Cale said softly.

"It doesn't matter. If I remember it right, in a minute it should be 8th of November. Our birthday,our anniversary."

5

Rok Soo held Cale's face gently with touch as soft as a feather even with his rough and calloused hand.

4

The two stare at each other warmly. One smiled genuinely while the other has a stoic expression however his eyes was extremely warm and loving.

3

They leaned in as to close the distance between their lips. It was like they both were in a daze as they got lost into the others eyes.

2

Cale closed his eyes in anticipation as he feel Rok Soo's breath on his face. When he did close them, he can hear his heartbeat beating loudly.

Is Rok Soo's heart beating as fast and loud as his is?

1

The distance between them disappeared as their lips finally touched. Their lips weren't soft at all. If anything, both of their lips were cracked yet it still feels so good as their lips touched.It was a chaste kiss that leaves them wanting for more. And more they did.

After a few moments, they broke off the kiss with a heave of breath. Their face were flushed red as they smiled at each other.

"Happy birthday." They both whispered to another.

Just then, a crack appeared on the door behind them. It seems like the zombies got impatient and are breaking down the door. There is technically a way out of here, using the hidden pathway to the attic that they accidentally found while searching for any trace zombies the first time they got here.

However, in order to get there they first have to tap a specific place for the hidden path to be opened. Then, they have to climb the tall wardrobe to get to the attic which then would be a way to escape to the outside.

The problem is, the pathway is too narrow for Rok Soo to fit in.

"...Cale." Rok Soo called out as he looked down as the shadow covered his eyes.

Cale realized what this dumbass was about to say and he was enraged. Cale raised his hand and slapped the idiotic man in front of him causing his face to turn to the left.

"No! I'm not leaving without you Rok Soo!" Cale shouted with tears streaming down his face since it doesn't matter whether he keeps it down or not anymore.

It was Cale's turn for his view to be turned to the left as he feel the sting on his cheek. Cale turned his face facing Rok Soo again to see him scowling at him.

"Don't say something so idiotic, Cale Henituse. There are simply no chance of me to live, but you do. Do not waste your time and hurry up and LEAVE." Rok Soo said as he turned away from Cale with his back is the one facing Cale now.

"No Rok Soo! I can't live without you,please! There must be another way!" Cale begged the younger man to live.

Rok Soo simply shook his head in denial. He then turned to look at Cale with the softest smile Cale had ever seen him do as a tear rolled down his cheek.

"Remember..living is the best."

The crack on the door was getting bigger and the door will broke in a matter of moments. Rok Soo keep pushing Cale upward so he can reach the attic faster while muttering apologies that from now on they won't be together anymore even as Cale screamed and begging to be with him.

Atleast one of them has to survive and between Rok Soo and Cale, Rok Soo would choose Cale a million times over.

Just as the door to the attic was closed, the door to the room they were in broke and the swarm of zombies came in. Rok Soo was easily defeated as he was tackled to the floor by the swarm of zombies.

Distantly, Rok Soo heard Cale screaming out his name while sobbing loudly. Even as his flesh is ripped harshly away from him and his body is bitten all over, his mind was full of the memories he made with Cale for the last 4 years.

Hazily, as his consciousness fades away, his eyes caught the sight of the broken clock.

'Ah..it's still 11:59..' Rok Soo thought as his consciousness fades away.