Day 3: "It doesn't matter"

Prompt:
•Umbrella
•Grim Reaper/ Terminally Ill
•Historical AU

If you ask 8 years old Cale about what he fears most, his answer would be 'death'. At the time, he think that death is cruel,unforgiving and only purpose is taking everything from a person away.

For Cale, it was his mother. His mother died at the tender age of 28 years old due to an illness. Nobody knew the cure or even the cause. The doctor suggested blood-letting to investigate further but his mother's body would be too weak to handle the blood loss afterward.

A week of painful and tearful goodbyes, his mother left the world forever.

Cale, just like his mother, had a frail body. Because of that, he spend most of his time staying inside of his house and rarely ever goes out. It was boring. From his bedroom window, he saw the commoner children running around in town not caring whether they fell or got hurt and continue playing.

The world around him seems so monochrome because nothing interesting ever happens when he is confined in his room.

However, at 14 years old, he experienced something..unexplainable. Firstly he saw a young kid, around the age of ten. Cale couldn't really describe how the kid looked like since the kid was like a shadow. None of his identifying features can be seen, only his height to which is how Cale guessed the kid's age.

It wouldn't be as weird if if he didn't see the kid hovering in the corner of his room or the fact that no one else seemed to be alarmed by the child's appearance.

Every time he tried to talk to the mysterious child, the child simply disappears out of sight which leaves him frustrated at times. It wasn't until a month later that Cale was able to talk to the child for the first time.

"Hey you. Stop vanishing on sight and talk to me properly." Cale said not really expecting the child to respond.

"...What do you want to talk about?" The child spoke.

Cale paused and smiled brightly.

"Who are you?" Cale decided to ask first.

"...I'm not sure. I just suddenly appeared here one day and I feel drawn to watch over you.." The child said while giving Cale more questions than answers.

Cale put his index and thumb fingers on his chin in a thinking gesture. He was thinking of a reason this unknown child would watch over him but he hasn't got the slightest clue.

Deciding to screw it, Cale asked again. "Well, why do you watch over me?"

"I don't know.."

It seems like there's not much that the child know. Speaking of, Cale really needed to know the name of this shadow child or atleast figure out what to call the child to stop Cale from the child...well, 'the child' in his mind.

"Alright, do you have a name? Or something to call you by?" Cale asked with raised eyebrow.

The child was silent for a moment.

"My name is...Kim Rok Soo."

Cale was so happy that he can call the child something else other than the child now. Cale muttered the name under his breath trying to pronounce it right.

"Kim..Rock Sui?" Cale attempted to say it outloud.

"Kim Rok Soo." The child corrected him.

"Kim Rock Soo?" Once again, Cale tried.

"Kim Rok Soo."

"Kim Rok Soo?"

"Kim Rok Soo."

"Kim Rok Soo!"