the square root of 25

Ari didn't just read.

He annotated.

Every evening, when we sat at our table after dinner to read, he wrote on the pages with a blue-inked pen.

The first time I realised what he was doing I was flabbergasted. "What are you doing? Why are you doing this?"

He looked at me. "Annotating? I'm not sure... I like to comment on things, I guess. And it's relaxing. You should also try it out."

At that time, me, who hated reading with a passion, gave him a look that was sufficient enough for an answer but made him smile nonetheless.

His annotations-thingy-stuff didn't stop, of course. Sometimes, when he gave me one of his books to read, they were also annotated, and I read these short notices, too.

Secretly, I hoped to find out more about him without having to talk to him (because, to be honest, I sucked at communicating, among other things) and I was undeniably curious about him.

I admired him for being so dedicated to his annotations. He would sit until midnight and sometimes even long after, just to scribble in his books.

Just like now.

Today, I was quite cheerful and at peace. I had my first day at my new job, carrying out the weekly newspaper.

Two weeks ago, Ari helped to write a CV, just as he had promised. I skimmed through the daily papers for job offers that didn't demand special qualifications, and bam, here I was, a part timer every Friday noon.

Did I feel proud? Yes. Did I also regret that I hurt myself over something so trivial? Also, yes. Did I feel bad for lying to Ari about it? A big yes.

But right now, nothing of this seemed to matter.

The coffee mugs were empty by now, the night was dark and warm and it wasn't long until 1 AM.

I had just finished my second book this month and it laid closed on the table, my head using it as a pillow as I try to bring my thoughts about the story in order. My bare arms wrapped around my head, loosely.

This was what reading did to me: it got me thinking. Thinking my own thoughts, my own opinion of the characters and even got me questioning. It got me feelings. Feelings I didn't know I possessed.

If Aryan forced me to read in the beginning, he didn't have to anymore. I loved reading. I was addicted. Though, I wasn't sure if I was addicted to reading in general, or just the feelings it brought me.

"Are you done with your book?", Ari suddenly asked and I could hear the sudden snap of him closing his own book.

I nodded, absentmindedly. "M-hm."

"And? What do you think?" He took my arms to get a better look at my face but I didn't let him see the tears in my eyes.

"I think I have an existential crisis, Ari."

He chuckled. "Maybe it will comfort you to know that I thought the exact same thing. It will pass with the next book you start, don't worry."

"I don't think I will be ever able to read another book. My head is mush."

"That's how you know if a book was good. Annotating helps you to keep your thoughts in order. You should start to do it, too."

Still perplexed by the story I just finished I nodded. "I should."

Then, it was silent for a few minutes. I could hear him breathing and shifting and eventually opening his pen and I thought he would continue to read but what he did instead stunned me.