2^2

TW ⚠️

"You need a job."

"And you need to mind your own business."

Ari sighed. "I'm being serious, Eddie."

"And so am I." I crossed my arms in front of my chest, turning around to finally face him. Walking away from him didn't work, he followed me everywhere.

The past week Ari kept pestering me about me getting a job. Constantly. Every single day.

"You can't just stay home all day and do nothing except reading or watching TV."

"I beg to differ!"

"Your mentality won't endure it for a long time. You'll be depressed."

I rolled my eyes. "So what? Just let me be."

Ari rubbed his eyes in frustration. "Your stubborness is killing me."

I huffed. "Don't be overdramatic, Ari. I mean, why do I need to work? Are you poor? No. Will we land on the streets? No. So just let me stay home and read. Also, the fact that I like to read is entirely your fault."

"What is it that you don't like about working? Why wouldn't you at least consider it?", he asked, calmly, his gaze suddenly soft.

That was also something I deeply admired about Aryan. He tried and took his time to understand me.

Involuntarily, I felt bad. He didn't know that much about me and he knew even less about my past. He didn't know how weirdly my mind and soul were wired. "I'm not sure why I don't want to."

"Did something happen in your hometown? Did someone say something to you that's preventing you to work?"

I thought deeply about his question but the more I thought, the more my mind grew blank. I don't remember anything. "I'm not sure", I repeated, meekly.

He nodded, probably understanding myself more than I did once again. Ari's empathy was truly his superpower. "It's okay, darling. Look, around five minutes from here, there's a comic shop. They offer part-time jobs, why don't you just go there? You worked in a comic shop in your hometown."

"A comic shop?" Something bittersweet nawged on my heartstrings. Finally, something I'm familiar with between all this chaos.

"I could give it a try", I muttered, looking into his eyes. "But if I don't like it, I'll quit."

Ari smiled. "Of course."

~

The next day, I walked to the comic shop, feeling oddly motivated. I've already pictured everything in my head, me working in a comic shop, becoming friends with my colleagues, having lovely chats with the customers. It will be wonderful.

Or, so I thought, at least.

Standing in front of the six foot something cashier, bulky and somewhat greasy, my hands started to shake and I couldn't answer once again when he asked me for the third time what I wanted.

"Can I help you with something?", he asked for the fourth time now and I finally found it in myself to clear my throat and stutter, "I- I saw that- that you are offering jobs, so I wanted to- to ask if-"

"Do you have your CV with you?"

I blinked. "My what?"

"Your CV", he repeated, this time much louder. He is yelling at me. He is angry. He wants me to leave.

"I'm sorry, I don't have it. But if it helps, I worked in a comic shop before. It belongs to my parents and-"

"I'm sorry but my manager wants a CV. Nowadays, everything becomes more complicated. That's just how it is."