Late Nights

"So you're Angel's mother?" Charlie asked with excitement. Angel had managed to calm himself down, and they were all now sitting around the near empty lobby sipping coffee and eating little sandwiches that Lucile had  made. Anya and Rider unfortunately had gone to bed, too tired to stay up much later than it already was.

"Yes, I'm Anthony's mother." Lucile said with a proud smile, "I'm so happy to see my boy has found such a lovely group of people. When he was a child, he always had such trouble making friends."

"Ma-" Angel could feel his face heating up with embarrassment, not really wanting to stroll down memory lane at the moment.

"Oh please continue~" Alastor said with a chuckle, "I'm very interested to learn how dear Angel was a child~" He ignored Angel's look of utter betrayal, attention fully on the female spider who was currently sitting across from him.

Lucile was more than happy to talk about her son, "Well he always had a flair for the dramatics, and he always loved being the center of attention."

"Ma!"

"When he was really little, he used to run around with no pants on and say his legs couldn't breath."

"Mama!" Angel's voice cracked from embarrassment as the others began to laugh, Alastor louder than the rest.

"Well Anthony, it's true."

"That's quite humorous." Furfur said with a light chuckle, "Considering Alastor wasn't to fond of clothing himself when he was a young boy."

This time it was Alastor's turn to heat up from embarrassment, not wanting to be put on the spot like this, "Stop-"

"How so?" Lucile asked, turning her attention to Furfur. It was strange how the two of them seemed to silently agree that they both loved telling these stories.

"When he was four, I found him in the backyard, burying all of his underwear with-"

"Okay, that's enough!" Alastor quickly got to his feet, "I'm getting another cup of coffee."

"Aw~ What's wrong, Al?" Angel asked with a malicious smile, "You were lovin' this just a second ago~"

"So you were both still fuckin' stupid when you were kids." Husk said with a shrug, Charlie and Vaggie both bursting into laughing fits, "I don't see the big deal here."

"Husk, you are so lucky you have a baby." Alastor grumbled under his breath. Not that baby Finley was there of course, Nifty had put him to bed hours ago.

"Well Anthony, you simply must fill me in." Lucile said with a gentle smile, leaning back in her chair, "I want to know everything I've missed."

"Uh- well Ma..." Angel really wasn't sure he should tell his mother everything she'd missed since he'd last seen her in the world of the living, "There's just so much-"

"Is that a fine deer gentleman yours~?" Lucile asked with a knowing smile, nodding at where Alastor had been before the Radio Demon had gotten up to go get himself more coffee.

"Oh uh-" Angel smiled a little, "Yeah-"

"That's so sweet! How'd the two of you meet."

"It's a long story-"

"Anthony, we're dead. We have all the time we need for long stories." Lucile was at full attention know, "Please my dear, I want to know everything that's happened."

Angel looked at his mother, and then looked around at everyone else, letting out a long sigh, "Alright, but the rest of ya better help me make sure I cover everthin', ya got it?"

"Sure Angel." Charlie said with a chuckle.

With that, Angel began filling his mother in on every detail he could think of, glossing over the whole detail where'd he'd been a porn star, instead simply saying he hadn't been in the best position when he'd met Charlie. Alastor had returned, sitting silently next to him while Angel told his story, not daring to interrupt. Once in a while, one of them would speak up when Angel found himself unable to really remember something properly...or when he just didn't want to admit he'd been too high to remember. Far be it from any of them to out his old habits in front of his mother.

"Oh so that little girl is yours?" Lucile asked in an adoring tone, "I'm a grandma?"

"Yeah." Angel said with a smile, he loved discussing Anya, "All found her, and we've been takin care of her since.

"That's so sweet." Lucile cooed, taking Alastor's hand in her own, "Thank you so much for lookin' after my dear Anthony for me."

Alastor, who usually didn't like when people invaded his personal space, found himself completely stunned under this woman's gaze, "I...it really was no trouble ma'am."

"Oh you stop that, we're practically family now, so you can call me Lucile, okay? After all, you're the reason I'm here with all of you right now." Everyone had already been made aware of Alastor's proposition of Stolas to find this woman, though Alastor had neglected to mention that he'd made a deal with the demon prince. He knew Charlie probably wouldn't be too happy about that little detail.

"That sounds fine by me."

"Perfect! I can't wait to get to know all of you better!" Lucile clapped one of her pairs of hands excitedly, her bubbly energy much like that of her son's.

"Does that mean you wanna stay here?" Vaggie asked, "It's not a problem or anything, we have plenty of spare rooms." Charlie gave Vaggie a proud smile, loving that her girlfriend was starting to be able to show others the kind girl she'd fallen in love with.

"I wouldn't want to be a bother-"

"No really, it's no trouble at all!" Charlie quickly interjected, "We'd love to have you here!"

"Are you sure?"

"Definitely!"

"Well, I would love to be closer to you, Anthony." Lucile spoke with a gentle, motherly smile in her gaze, "Do you want me to stay?"

"Of course Ma, I'd love that." Angel took one of his mother's free hands in his own, "After all, ya wanna meet the kiddos, don't ya?"

"I really do-"

"Then ya gotta stay!" Angel found himself grinning wide, unsure of when the last time he'd felt so ecstatic about anything.

"I'll make sure your room is all clean!" Nifty said gleefully, already getting up to go inspect the spare rooms of the hotel for the perfect one for the newest resident.

"Thank you dear, that's mighty kind of you." Lucile said, setting down her coffee, "I have a feeling we're all going to get along just fine."