Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I dashed outside where the sun was setting and took a moment to just breathe. I had told Cal to give me a minute alone so I could think and process the whole thing.

A million questions were running through my head at once and I didn't have an answer for any of them.

Why didn't Mom and Dad tell me? Why didn't they kept Cal? When did Cal find out? Are Mom and Dad actually my mom and dad? Are me and Cal both adopted?

I have so many questions, but I don't want to talk to any of the people who hold the answers.

I dropped down into a squat when the world started tilting. I needed to get a hold of myself before I had a panic attack. I've never had one personally, but I've been around enough delusional actors to know what the signs are.

I heard the purr of a motor and lifted my head up to see what was going on. Noland's black car pulled into the driveway, but stopped short so as not to run me over.

I watched as he swung open his door, rushed over to me, and squatted down in front of me. He seemed to understand that I didn't want to talk when I feel into his arms and started sobbing.

So we sat there, him holding me and me just crying and acting pitiful.

What can I say? I have a flair for the dramatics (hence my career).

When I finally pulled myself together, we both stood up and he gave me a proper hug.

"Are you going to be okay," he asked when he pulled back.

I nodded and gave him a small smile.

"Do you wanna take a drive around town? Maybe it'll help you clear your head."

I nodded again, then followed him to his car.

****

"So you and Callan are twins?"

After driving around the small town for a while, I finally told him why I was so upset.

"I think so," I sighed, sinking farther into the seat.

"But you haven't talked to anyone about this. I mean, like to your parents or your Aunt," he asked, pulling into an empty parking lot and parking the car.

"Not yet," I mumbled, a bit embarrassed about my lack of information. He probably thought I was having a meltdown over nothing.

"I just needed a moment for it to sink in and I wasn't sure I could talk to them without freaking out. Of course, I might still freak out when I call them tonight, but..."

"Why would they hide something like this from you? I mean, what did they have to lose by having two kids?"

"I've been asking myself the same thing. I mean, when I was born-when Cal and I were born- my mother was already famous and making well enough money to support two kids so I know money wasn't an issue. I don't know. I've been trying to grasp any excuse that makes sense, but I haven't found one."

"I really think you need to talk to someone who knows. Maybe your Aunt first and then your parents. I just don't want you to go insane trying to answer all of these questions when you can just ask them. Take your time in doing so, but please ask. I'm sure they had a good reason for all of this."

He took my hands in his and started rubbing circles on them with his thumbs.

"Thank you...for everything," I sighed, feeling slightly less overwhelmed now that I had talked to him.

"That's what friends are for right," he laughed humorlessly.

"I'm really starting to hate that word. Friends..."