Prologue

A lone, young man was sitting on a window sill at the mansion of the Narvaez

A lone, young man was sitting on a window sill at the mansion of the Narvaez. He is observing the overlooking scenery of the flowery landscape of their garden, while also embodying the fact that he is a scenery himself.

Mula sa mala niebe nitong balat, maging sa ilong nito na maikukumpara sa isang mataas na bundok. Isama mo pa ang mga mata nito na kasing kulay ng luntiang kalikasan at ng kayumangging kalupaan; pati na rin ang kanyang mga labi na kasing pula ng palubog na araw at maging ang kanyang halimuyak na kasing bango ng mga bulaklak.

It may sound like he got everything for himself. From the good looks down to a rich and loving family. But this wasn't enough to put a smile on his face. For him, money can't really buy happiness.

"Hey, honey. Wanna go on a trip to Japan?"

Lumingon ang binata sa kanyang nanay na siyang nakatayo sa pintuan ng kanyang kwarto. May hawak itong mga bagong pitas na bulaklak mula sa kanilang hardin. Nag-lakad ito patungo sa anak at naupo sa sopa sa tabi ng bintana.

"Thanks, Mom. But no. If anything, I would like to stay here at the house." wika nito habang suot ang isang pilit na ngiti. "Kapag umalis kasi ako, ma-mi-miss ko 'to." dagdag pa niya.

Nakaramdam ng kirot sa dibdib ang kanyang ina dahil sa sinabi niya rito. What he said could be interpreted in two different meanings, and the other meaning is something that his mother is wishing not to happen.

"So, will you let me stay here and live with you for the rest of the life I have left?" he asked, forcing another faint smile, to which his mother answered with a nod.

Taliwas ang mga salitang lumalabas mula sa kanyang bibig sa nais talagang sabihin ng kanyang puso.

Just like any other teen his age, he also likes to travel and meet new people. But he can't, because his illness is keeping him from doing so. In spite of that, he looks for ways to have fun in their mansion with his family. And one of the things he finds fun is to sit by the window and watch the flowers in their garden bloom.

"By the way, there's a new flower that will be added to the garden. I hope you'll like it." his mother said. The woman stood up and went to grab the withering flowers from a vase on his coffee table.

Halatang hilig niya talaga ang mga bulaklak dahil nakuha muli ng kanyang ina ang atensyon niya.

"A flower? What's it called?" tanong nito. Nagniningning pa ang mga mata nito sa sobrang pagka sabik na makita ang bulaklak na tinutukoy ng ina.

"Hmm...your father said it was called the Queen of the Night." sagot nito sa kanya. "Pretty awesome, right?" Pinalitan nito ang mga lantang halaman at nilagay ang mga bagong bulaklak.

"But why is it called that?" puno ng kuryosidad na tanong niya habang pinapanood ang ina na ayusin ang mga bulaklak sa plorera.

"Because that flower only blooms at night." Mas lalong napuno ng hiwaga ang isipan ng binata. Mas lalo siyang nasabik itong makita at pagmasdang mamukadkad. "And do you know what's the most interesting part about that flower? If you make a wish on that flower right when it blooms, that wish will come true."

With his forehead creased, he asked, "Is that even true?"

"I'm not sure, honey. Pero wala namang mawawala kung susubukan mo, hindi ba?" His mother was about to leave his room but she stopped right at the door and turned around to face him again. "And oh, this flower blooms around mid-June or mid-July. You should witness it, because it only blooms once a year." Matapos sabihin 'yon ay umalis na ito at naiwan siyang mag isa ulit sa kwarto.

Ang kaninang pagka sabik ng binata ay unti-unti naglaho ng marinig ang sinabi ng ina. Tila nanlumo siya ng malamang isang beses lang ito kung mamukadkad sa isang taon.

It's already the month of August, which means I'll have to wait for another year to see the beauty of the flower.

But, will I still be around when the Queen of the Night blooms? Will I be able to make a wish on the midnight flower?