00

Alan Hunley versus William Brandt.
CIA Chief versus Chief Analyst to the Secretary.
CIA versus IMF.

Two institutions, one of which thought nothing of the other. That's what Washington, D.C., was all about. Nothing else. With success, mind you. In the end, the congressional committee sided with Hunley. The IMF's successes were like a series of happy accidents, though they spoke for themselves. Missions were accomplished, but often with considerable damage or loss.

Less than half an hour after the start of the meeting, the IMF was dissolved, which meant that from now on all areas of responsibility were the responsibility of the CIA. The staff's delight at this innovation should surprise no one. Not a little. An enormous transition was about to take place at the former IMF.

"Was this a good idea, sir?" asked Cameron to her boss, who had just gotten what he had wanted for a long time, "The staff won't be too happy about having to work for the CIA now. The IMF operates differently than the CIA."

"Operated. Past. And that is exactly why it was time to disband it," admitted the head of the CIA and Cam's direct superior, "The mess the IMF has made in the past is no excuse for its so-called successes.

Unorthodox methods. Bending the law. Arbitrary actions. No transparency with no oversight. Enough was enough.

A Russian nuclear warhead that recently grazed a skyscraper in San Francisco and, of course, the destruction of the Kremlin. For Congress, of course, that was enough.

But that was not enough. The Syndicate. A construct of the imagination. And the arsonist, according to Hunley, was none other than Ethan Hunt himself, so he could play fireman at the same time. But why? To justify the IMF and its existence.

So the priority was to find Ethan Hunt.