01

The one day Hunley had promised, the last day off, turned into six months. And now, finally, there was progress. To Cuba's capital, Havana, that's where the clues to Hunt's current whereabouts were leading. It seemed a little strange to Cam. Too sudden. There had been no sign of the fugitive IMF agent for ages, and now there were clues here and there leading to the island nation in the Caribbean? One of the most popular destinations and islands the world has to offer. Of course.

In no time, all preparations were made for an operation to take the former IMF agent into the custody of the CIA without much fuss.

The house where Hunt was supposed to be was in the middle of the city and not, as one would assume, somewhere on the outskirts. Or on one of the smaller islands surrounding Cuba. Far away from any soul. Nice and secluded. And that's exactly why Hunt's potential location was so perfect.

Cameron watched intently at the dozens of monitors in the room, on the wall and on the tables in front of him, and as the task force exited their cars and approached the building, he looked at his boss. Rock solid, he seemed convinced that he would surprise Hunt and finally take him into custody.

Up the stairs. All secure. Quickly, the unit hurried across the hall, around the corner, and paused at a closed door for a second or two to listen. Nothing to be heard, so the door was forced open and nothing. Empty. No sign of Ethan Hunt or anyone else.

What there was, however, was a phone and a map on the north wall that covered the entire area, along with countless photos of people and newspaper reports. The missing flight 606; a fire destroys a chemical plant and the World Bank speaks of a crisis. On a desk under the window to the left were several drawings. A man with glasses and a woman with long hair. No names attached.

So much for today, the day of days had finally arrived.