Chapter Fourteen: The Ceasefire (part 2)

authors note: i finally got around to making that spotify playlist y'all requested :D it's called 'The Business Arrangement' by Kate Freling and here is the link:

 https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4phnAsh1yKAXRUZHQyG1B4?si=87d101f48fc844fe

sorry if it's boring af i've actually never made a playlist before so please comment your song recs!! 

now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

POV: Maya 

It's been one week since Henry saved me.

One week since he ended Mr. Bianchi's life.

One week, filled with meetings and phone calls, counselor visits and doctors appointments in which everyone makes positively one-hundred percent sure that I'm fine, and yet...Henry hasn't so much as looked at me.

Not to mention anything else.

When I wake, he's already left the apartment.

Either that, or he's shut up in his office, talking so low that I can't hear what's being said.

Most nights I'm asleep far before he crawls into bed, and I don't even notice him come in.

It could just be a coincidence.

An accident, or bad timing and a busy schedule.

But whatever it is, I'm tired of it.

That's why, at two in the morning, I find myself standing at the front door in nothing but a baby blue matching lingerie set.

Let him try and ignore me now.

Ding.

The familiar sound of the elevator arriving on the penthouse floor sounds in the hall.

Meaning either Henry's about to get home, or I'm about to seriously surprise a pizza delivery guy.

Let's hope it's the first one.

No knock sounds, and the scrape of a key turning in a lock corresponds with the door handle slowly turning.

All good so far.

I take a deep breath, and do my best to look confident, just as the door swings open.

Henry.

His hair is damp, presumably from the midnight rain, but he's wearing his usual button up and a pristine tailored suit. His sharp features gleam in the dim lighting, and as he raises his head, his steel-blue eyes glint dangerously out from the darkness.

If I were anyone else, his appearance would no doubt be intimidating.

But since I've been living with this man for months now, I feel only the tiniest shiver of anticipation.

Alright, Maya.

You can do this.

I steel my nerves, and take a step forward.

"You're avoiding me."

At the sound of my voice, he freezes in place. One polished leather shoe out in the hallway, one just inside the door.

For a moment, I worry he'll simply turn around and leave.

Then his jaw tenses, and he takes another step inside, closing the door behind him.