Chapter 1

My footsteps squelched as I stormed through the automatic double doors, making a beeline for the reception desk.

Setting my purse on the counter, I tried to muster a smile, "Hi, I need a room." My hand swiped across my forehead, brushing the rain-soaked strands of my hair aside.

"Um, excuse me?"

I turned, sighting a fit, older man wearing a suit and an annoyed expression. Under the fluorescent lights of the bright, airy lobby, his salt-and-pepper hair gleamed silver, and he looked exceptionally tired and grumpy.

"Look, man, I'm sorry, but this is an emergency."

"Yeah? Join the club."

Gritting my teeth, I shifted the strap of my duffel bag, staring at him, silent for a moment. When I spoke I asked, "Can you see what I'm wearing?"

His eyes trailed down, one eyebrow raising as he took in my skimpy attire - the rib-hugging midriff shirt, dripping wet micro shorts, and brightly colored calf-length boots.

My cheerleading uniform...

Normally, I didn't mind it - I actually thought it made me look pretty damn cute - but after the shit that Dave had pulled, I wasn't in the mood to be ogled.

"Yeah. I have had a hell of a day, and right now, all I want is to change, and shower, and sleep."

"Okay," his eyes met mine, "I believe you - but this is the last hotel in town that still has open rooms-"

"Actually, open room, singular."

The voice came from behind me, and, dumbstruck, I glanced over my shoulder to see the harried receptionist watching our exchange.

"I'm sorry?"

Rubbing her tired eyes, she elaborated, "We only have one room left." With a sigh, she continued, "Now, I don't know about the other hotels in town, but I'd be willing to bet that this is your only shot at getting a room for the night, period."

My eyes shot between her and the man, "What do you mean?"

"I mean the news is saying that the river north of town is flooding across the bridge, and the highway's closed. There's gonna be a lot of travelers looking for a place to stay."

Oh, fuck.

"I'll take it-"

"I'll take it."

The man and I spoke simultaneously, and I whirled, "Please, just let me have this."

He shook his head, "I have been driving all day, and I refuse to sleep in my car."

"Well, I was here first-"

"I was literally waiting in line when you cut-"

"Sir? Ma'am? Can I be very honest with you?"

Turning, I faced the receptionist.

She took a breath, radiating exhaustion as she said, "I am less than halfway through a double shift because my coworker is a selfish ass. I've already had to deal with a dozen guest complaints because apparently there's a prima donna convention in town, and now I'm going to have to turn away a bunch of frustrated, tired, and soggy people who got fucked over by the weather, but they're going to take it out on me."

I stood, dumbstruck.

I mean, she did say 'very honest'...

"So, here's the thing - I don't give a shit who gets it, and I'm not getting paid enough to decide. I'll hold the room for ten minutes - if you can't figure it out, then I'll give the room away to the next person who walks through those doors."