Prologue

Bonfire sighed. He knew guarding the Queen should be a great honor, but really, he would rather be on scouting duty. All he did was stop anyone who came along, asked them what they wanted then let them through. He didn't know how Queen Ember felt about the guards. Ember was a young queen, though not a dragonet, and hadn't had any eggs yet. The Queen was the only egg her mother, Queen Hearth, had had. Because of this, there was no-one available to take the throne, so Queen Ember had to be kept alive as long as possible.

     The sound of dragons landing brought Bonfire back to the present. A SandWing, a SkyWing and a NightWing.

     "Halt." Bonfire ordered, barring their way with his spear. "What matters do you have with the Queen?"

     Bonfire noticed that the SkyWing and NightWing weren't just a SkyWing and NightWing. The SkyWing had some black stripes along her body and a nasty stinger at the end of her tail. Her wings were smaller than a regular SkyWing's, and Bonfire thought he could see two extra wings tucked under her other wings. The NightWing had phosphorescent scales and a fin going down his back as well as gills and webbed claws.

     "We are merchants," the NightWing SeaWing said. "We have something we believe will interest the Queen."

     He flicked his tail at the SandWing, who lifted a necklace with beads of gold, diamond and marble out of a pouch around her neck. Bonfire held his talon out to the SandWing, asking to see the necklace. They did so. The guard examined the jewelry. It looked completely normal. Bonfire handed back the necklace.

     "Very well," said Bonfire, lifting his spear. "You may see Queen Ember."

     The NightWing bowed his head and walked in, closely followed by the SandWing and strange SkyWing.

* * * * *

     Bonfire glanced at the sky. Almost nightfall. That meant his shift would end soon. The three dragons had been in the throne room for a while now. The guard thought he should check on them, just in case. He poked his head into the throne room and bit back a gasp. Queen Ember was lying, limp, on the throne, the necklace the trio were going to offer her around the snout, as if to stop her from screaming. Her throat had been slit and she had been stabbed, with a SandWing barb by the looks, through the heart. Bonfire ran up to her. Yes. Queen Ember was dead. The three supposed merchants were nowhere to be seen either. Bonfire noticed a small piece of paper on the floor. He picked it up and read the scrawny handwriting on it.

     Good luck.