Chapter 3

"So," said Rift, as he and the dragonets walked through the cave system. "How did you two get here?"

     Bluetang told Rift what he knew about his family and how he and Brook had been chased out of their home for no logical reason.

     "...then we flew over here, where May found us."

     "Well, you had it easy."

     Brook gaped at Rift. "But- I... What?"

     Rift sighed. "Let me tell you how I got here.

     "As you may have noticed, I am part NightWing, part IceWing, part MudWing. My father was half IceWing half MudWing. He was a strange dragon. He spoke of strange things that we had never heard of as if they were commonly known. If I remember correctly, he spoke a lot about a certain Ro'eni. He... seemed slightly mad, as if he knew more than his mind could contain and was forgetting the reasonable and logical things. My mother still loved him, despite everything, and didn't eat for over a day when he died. Luckily, I managed to get her to sit down to a proper meal. I hate how forceful I had to be with her.

     "My father wrote down many of the things he had learned about in a book. He said 'The book is the one thing that believes me, you all think I'm a liar'. Let me remind you that he was going mad. That book was my inheritance. He tied it shut with a frozen ribbon so that I couldn't read it. He told me it would thaw in 50 moons from then. My mother and I called it 'the frozen book'. When she died, she told me to keep it safe, whatever I do.

     "Then, the IceWing assassination happened. The IceWings chased me out of the Kingdom. I came here and guided other abandoned hybrids to safety where I re-founded the Talons of Peace. I'm sure that those IceWing guards would have searched my home afterwards. The Frozen Book contains valuable information, that I know. I'm sure that in the wrong talons it could be used harmfully. It thaws in five moons and it's mine by right. I want to see it thaw, to be the first to read it. If not even that I at least want it back in my talons. It's the last trace of my father..."

     Rift dipped his head and closed his eyes as he finished his story. It was clear that he was fighting back tears. Bluetang wrapped his wings around the large male and pressed his head into his shoulder.

     "It's okay, I understand, even if I didn't get to meet my father. All I can do is hope he's safe. Maybe it's better that your father's gone. He's safe and back with your mother, he must be happy."

     Rift smiled and hugged Bluetang.

     "I think you're right." Said Rift. "We still need to find the Frozen Book. An evil dragon would love to have that knowledge in their possession."

     "Don't worry, we'll find it at some point." Brook said. "We still have five moons until it thaws."