1 - The Underworld

She had been in dead a long long time. The girl was the unfortunate stillborn of Emmeline  Benedict Rosewood. The circumstances were auspicious, with heavy mist, full moon and dark skies surrounding Rochester Manor. The date was interesting too, the day the 1st Earl of Rochester's daughter was hung for witchcraft. The family had a long history of fighting against the Puritans and becoming a safe passageway for wizards and witches alike. Her body was carried away by the midwives to the morgue, to be buried at the cathedral.

Dead, however, was in interesting turn of phrase. She had spent 10 years in the land of the dead, yes, but as a child of Hades. With his blessing, the child's soul and body united once more and he took the newborn in as his own daughter, naming her Celeste. As with any deity, family trees are complicated and this one was no exception.

"My child, how is Elysium? There's a bit of the stir by the River Acheron so I have to head there, please be timely for dinner as there are important things to discuss. And where is Nico? I told him to keep an eye on you."

"Why though? In case of what?" She called out to the empty room. He had already left. "Great..."

Later that evening, the happy family at the table began to discuss Celeste's future. Hades had  decided it was time for the girl to live again. Her soul would rise from the dead. 

"You will return to your family. You can't waste your life here, and it will be good to have a child of mine on the surface as I've been hearing of whispers from the deceased. Go with Nico to Camp Half-Blood and spend your summer there getting used to the land of the living before going to school in the UK. I will be in touch. I will make sure your family know that you have been found in America and that you are preparing to move back on your tenth birthday."

Destination: Camp Half-Blood. Where demi-gods like her could spend their time training in battle and manipulate their powers freely.

The conversation escalated due to this lack of communication, "Are you calling me weak?"

"No, Celeste, I'm calling you a child who needs guidance. You spend your summers bored anyway, and I am offering you an alternative to doing the paperwork of the damned for eternity."

"What if - and hear me out here - I just don't do that?"

"Celeste Rosewood," Hades' deep commanding voice filled the room, "Persephone and I have decided to send you to that summer camp over the holidays, especially as you have no idea how to control your abilities and you have a life you can return to. I want you to have a good life before you come back here and think you are a great asset in the mortal world. Until then, learn to make friends. That much I definitely know you can't do. I suggest you pack your bags now and rest as you will be leaving for New York at in the morning."

That left her not knowing how to feel. Turning to face the window towering over the garden, she stared at all the stuff Persephone was growing. "Beautiful isn't it? I'm quite proud of what I can grow, even down here."

"You really have done wonders, it really is impressive."

"Look, I don't want to overstep, but what your family are capable of are no immortal powers, it's mortal magic." A long silence followed until Persephone spoke again, "Your family in England and Scotland have different types of abilities. Try to learn something useful while you're at it. When you start school you won't be able to use your abilities in the same way and have to use magic. Go to Camp Half-Blood, hone your skills, and let the winds take you further."
The poor child looked up at her with solemn eyes, knowing that of all people she was right.

There was no way of telling the time in the Underworld. No clocks, no sunlight. The only thing she could rely on was her painful habit of waking up at the same time every morning. Her little gold watch didn't work down there. Trudging to the bathroom for a shower, a servant packed her bags whilst she was occupied. With loose silk black trousers and an oversized black blouse, she dragged the bags downstairs to the dining hall to eat a pomegranate. Conversation was non existent. As it turns out, Persephone was right; this was awfully boring and incredibly dull. Maybe camp was worth a shot. So when seven o'clock finally came along she nodded in the general direction of the gods and set off to a long Island.