3 - The Camp for Demigods

This year was rather different to her first introduction to Camp Half-Blood. Since then Celeste had been coming for three months at a time to make sure she was in control of her skills and knew something about the living by the time she moved to the UK. She heard tales of the older kids in Percy Jackson's year doing all sorts of nonsense, and a war was approaching too, it seemed. For that reason, Hades decided this year would be her last for a long while. Castor and Pollux were basically older siblings to her, the nicest of the bunch and would help clean wounds when she was injured. They would leave a basket of freshly picked strawberries in front of the Hades cabin to welcome her back each time, and she would bring them gossip from the recently deceased in return.

As she lay on the black leather armchair in front of the green flames in the fireplace, an owl burst through the door that was left ajar. It carried a letter from a school in the States named Silvermourning, another from France that she didn't dare try read the name of. The last came from Warthogs in Scotland. These, she thought, were probably the schools her parents were talking about before she went down to Hades for summer. Furrowing her brows, she realised the names weren't so familiar.

After a breakfast on the Hades table, she walked to the Big House to ask Chiron about these school letters. Approaching the oak door, the confused girl thought she heard an old lady speak. A Scottish accent of all things. In Chiron's office.

"Well, this school is a magic school, but not as in her powers. This school is for witches and wizards, they use wands and wear these old fashioned robes. She'll get over that, don't worry. She will be studying an array of subjects from the likes of potions, charms, and jinxes. Oh, and learning how to fly on a broomstick, amongst other things. This gift is very rare, only a handful of demigods have been able to produce this magic, most are descendants of Hecate. Although, we haven't admitted one in over fifty years. In her case she is a full pure blood but with immortal powers. Wizards know of your kinds existence and there's nothing wrong with it, as direct descendants of our gods after all, but be aware that it is likely people will attempt to use her for power. I feel this may be her biggest downfall. She will be taken to Diagon Alley by myself, seeing as you can't escort her, and there she will need to pick up supplies for school and then stay in London until the school starts. I will return tomorrow, if I hear she will be accepting her place. Is this okay?"

Oh the little eleven year old was so confused. Her birthday had been on the 21st December, the winter solstice, but for the past half a year she still hadn't been home.

Hades' cabin felt slightly more secluded from the other ones. Not only did she have a cabin to herself since her older half-brother Nico was always off and Bianca had passed, but she barely had anyone willing to talk to her. Now at camp, she only had a few people who would occasionally drop a comment. To be fair, she didn't make an effort either. Lounging around on armchair from earlier, she was falling asleep for a while until the green flames spouted out a letter, interrupting the nap.

A matte black envelope with a black wax seal was thrown on top of the coffee table. Tentatively, she reached out to it, making herself comfortable.

Celeste,
It's time you were given a proper explanation. Hades asked me to write to you on his behalf.
Eons ago, Hecate blessed a number of mortals with powers of her witchcraft. Your parents in the mortal world are among them. Benedict Wilmot and Emmeline Rosewood come from a long line of witches with not a single bit of normal mortal blood, they call these humans 'muggles' apparently. You are an incredibly rare being my dearest Cece, magical blood and a divine soul live within you. You aren't half mortal like the rest of the demigods, you are a witch. You are the daughter of two very established magical families, blessed by Hades himself.
As with any young witch or wizard, there are schools that have sent you letters offering you a place. Your father will expect you to attend one of the ones that gave you a place. Your holidays are to be spent wherever you wish. But yes, the witchcraft explains the non-Hades abilities you have.
Wherever you go to school, you must make sure you are known as a Wilmot. Remember to not to give away the whole Hades business. Make sure everyone thinks that it is only because you are a talented witch, not, you know.
Best,
Persephone

She tossed that letter in the fire, watching the green flames engulf it.

"Hey?" came loud sounds from the entrance, 'You ready to return the favour?"
"You could have broken down my bloody doors Travis Stoll! What favour are you on about?"
"There was none. I'm asking if you could do me a favour."
"Then it's not returning a favour dumbass. I'm guessing you want be to be a pawn in a prank?"
"Yup," he gleamed happily as Cece sighed, "now then, all you have to do is put this box in Five"
"Oh is that it? Wait, Ares' cabin? Are you mad?"
"Nah don't worry about it, I got it covered, now go on!"
"How do you propose I get into their cabin undetected? Surely the more experienced pranksters would have more luck?"
"You don't need luck, you can just shadow travel in and out. Dumbass."

Reluctantly she took the box out of his hands, knowing he was right, and shadow travelled into Cabin Five before setting it down on the coffee table. Celeste mentally apologised for being in there to Ares. The interior of the cabin looked just as much like a war zone as the outside of it. The walls were painted a blood red and the floor was worn and wooden. A bunch of bunk beds were tucked away at the sides as if sleep were the lowest of their priorities and an entire artillery rack stood by the door. There were brown worn leather sofas scattered around the coffee table and another long table with a map of the camp with annotations and various other things. Capture the flag was ages away though, so unless they were planning an actual war in the forest, Ares really wanted to win.

"Done," she gasped for air as Celeste appeared by the cabin opposite, where the Stolls were hiding.
"Perfect. They should be coming back from their activity anytime now," replied Travis. After picking the rest of her black nail polish off, she realised he was in fact right. The entire cabin came back at once.
"Do it now, Connor"

And with that, a loud explosion came from Cabin Five. The twins ran up to the cabin but with enough distance to have time to run away from their wrath. Celeste sat in the shady grass, watching. The entire cabin came running outside, covered in red paint yelling and throwing red spears at the Stolls who just yelled that they thought they asked for a paint job. Feeling rather smug, the little witch walked back to the Hades cabin and fell asleep, completely forgetting about dinner.