4.

Sometime around the third day of training, Katniss and Peeta started going around looking for more sponsors after hearing "I'm going to die in this arena" from their lovely daughter. Ashter was tired from training, Haymitch had decided to drink. So Azalea Mellark was left to have dinner alone with Ryan.

"Your parents think you should be our main tribute," Ryan called at one point as they ate pork with plums.

"I can try to save Ashter. As you say," Zea smiled. "Hey, you've been here all day, haven't you? By any chance..."

"First, don't think that if Haymitch doesn't do anything, we're all following suit. Second, no, your boyfriend didn't call." Ryan raised his dark eyes to her. "By the way, do you think it's wise to talk to him? He's a gamemaker now. They could accuse us of some kind of fraud or... I don't know, something like that."

Azalea frowned. "No, I don't think—"

"Then think. Look. I agree that our main tribute can't be a 13-year-old kid. So our chances are with you, Mellark. Your parents love you too much to they say some things. Well, here's the truth. Everyone in that arena will go after you first." Ryan studied her face as she wondered what to say to him. "I know we went after the Stafford boy. They're going after you - the kids of the winners - because you have the most sponsors. If they killed you, they'd probably take your sponsors."

Azalea sighed. "I have a plan." I don't need you, that's how it should have sounded. Because Ryan had won his Games by treachery. And if he could fool the Careers, he could fool her.

Azalea knew she should trust him - he was her mentor. But Finnick didn't trust him. Johanna didn't trust him. Her parents didn't discuss the matter often, but they didn't trust Ryan. Beetee didn't trust him - and he was the smartest person Azalea knew. And since they didn't trust Ryan... Azalea was pretty sure she shouldn't trust him either.

She studied Ryan's face. "You... won your Games by cheating, didn't you?"

He smiled at her. "Considering something like that? Not enough time has passed to use it. Why don't you try Johanna Mason's strategy?" Ryan leaned over the table. Azalea leaned back in her chair. "Thought about it, huh, little one? But you're smart. Something your parents prefer to ignore. I can get you an alliance with District 2."

"I don't think you heard me," Azalea tried to put on the coolest smile possible. "I have a plan. I also have a mentor. You focus on your other tribute."

***

Azalea was sitting in her room looking through some old magazines when the door opened. She sighed without looking up from the stupid article she was reading. "Thanks, but I don't need anything, Jill."

"I have no idea who Jill is..." Azalea jumped off the bed into Aeneas' arms before he could even finish his sentence. He winced slightly before grabbing her so hard he must have cracked one or two of her ribs. "Hello mischief," he whispered into her hair. "I'm sorry I didn't show up yesterday," Aeneas stroked her head.

"Are you okay?" her voice trembled and she hated herself even more.

Neas was the only one Azalea could cry in front of. Behind closed doors, in a windowless room, of course. The only person he could say anything to; who listened and understood; who hadn't forced her to do anything.

Aeneas pushed her away from him slightly - just enough so he could see her face, just enough so she could see his. "Me? Am I okay? Zea, seriously?! Are you okay?" He ran a hand through her hair. "Aph and Es said you were pretty quiet the other day. Are you okay?"

As good as a drowned man was. As good as a dying cat was. No no. Actually, she was fine. Because she was Azalea Mellark, a hunter as well as a performer.