5.

"Azalea, right?" Zea looked up as they waited for the interviews to begin and found Alicia, the District 4 girl, sitting in front of her, smiling at her. "I heard we're allies." She bit her bottom lip and looked around at the rest of the tributes. "Um, me, you, Connor and Ashter of course. As was the arrangement."

"Yes," Azalea nodded. "Thank you, Alicia," and smiled warmly at Esme's female tribute. "Did you talk to Regina and the Prince of District 1 or will it just be the four of us?"

Alicia blinked at her then laughed. "Sorry, that sounded... like we were going to the beach, not the arena," she shrugged. "For all I know we might just take Regina, Prince seems pretty blinded by the idea of ​​being an ally with District 2."

"Because," the District 2 girl called, "our district has the most winners in the history of the Games, while yours has how many, fish girl? And yours, Miss Mellark?" she turned to Azalea in a mocking tone. "You will die first in the arena. If it depends on me. And that depends."

"How exactly?" Azalea cocked her head to one side. "You will kill me? Oh dear, think about it. Or they didn't teach you how to think in District 2. No wonder." The girl snorted and Azalea turned back to Alicia. "I heard you wanted us to take District 7 as well?"

"Yeah, because of Johanna Mason and Finnick, but..."

Azalea frowned. Was this stupid gossip going on? Johanna – who had no interest in men at all – and Finnick – who had absolutely no interest in such stories, who over the years had become the cool uncle to them all – being together was like her parents having an affair with President Snow – impossible.

"...they disagree. That's why we will probably be a 1-4-12 union. Which sounds great, don't you think?" Azalea nodded.

Regina stepped off the stage and headed directly for the two of them. Years ago – at the first Games that Azalea had been to the Capitol – the female tribute from District 1 had been dressed in a similar pink dress that was almost transparent, but not enough covering to hide the girl's body. No wonder Regina was like a storm cloud now.

"You two are my allies, right?" Regina asked with a raised blonde eyebrow. "Regina Smith," she offered her hand first to Azalea, then to Alicia. "In the arena... I'm begging you from the bottom of my soul, let me kill that whore from District 2." Regina's blue eyes met Zea's, "Or the boy. I'll be happy with either of them. I don't want to die like the beautiful fool from District 1."

Azalea licked her lips. What kind of society had they become? The girls of District 1 were bound to be beautiful fools. The Girls of District 4 – something like that. From District 2 were all those morons who believed that war was their only nature. And all these were some stereotypes that the Capitol created, taking advantage of people's prejudices.

"They're both yours," Azalea smiled. "No. In fact. Only he. I want to finish this one myself."

Regina grinned at her. "Okay," she leaned down and kissed Azalea's cheek. "Oh, before I forget. When we get rid of the idiots from 2, I'll be the one to kill Prince, okay, sweetie?"

And I'll be the one to kill you, a voice chirped in Azalea's head. She just smiled at Regina though. "Of course. What are allies for," she whispered before Regina walked away.

Alicia was pale. "Well... I... then..."

"I think it's your turn for the interview," Azalea smiled as the roaring District 3 boy got off the stage and ran into Beethee's arms. "Luck."

***

Azalea looked in the mirror as the boy from District 11 entered the scene.

Cinna had made an impressive dress of fire azaleas, as he had done for the parade. Honestly, she had no idea what exactly her stylist was doing, but - as her mother had said - she had to trust Cinna and her prep team. Her blonde hair was done in something like an up-do with two simple braids, with black, red and orange azaleas tucked into them as if they were trying to create the illusion of fire in her hair. As Finnick had said, a fire goddess.