44 ~ your mortal heart

Ruin and I head down to the dining room, where Rogue is moving about, making some lovely smelling foods for the morning. Death sits nearby, slouched, her gaze on the floor. Ruin kisses my forehead, then goes to talk to her. So, I go to talk to Rogue.

She doesn't look up as she scrambles eggs, but she speaks. "I was wondering when you two would be doing it."

"Doing what?" I ask her.

She smirks.  "You know. Each other." I blush. Rogue laughs. "You two make a lovely, happy couple."

"Thank you," I say to her.

Rogue shrugs.  "Don't get all sappy, girl. Come on, now. There's a seat at the table, sit down, and I'll be done with breakfast shortly."

I sit across from Ruin at the table, listening as he and Death talk quietly.

".... I just miss her.  So much," Death mutters.

"Ellory wouldn't want you to be this upset, still, Death," Ruin assures her.

"No, Ellory would have wanted to be here for this, though," she says.

She sets a locket down on the table between us. Her eyes are full of unshed tears. I look between Death and Ruin. His gaze is on Death, and hers is on the locket. The locket contains her lover, the girl called Ellory who was trapped.

"So, Ellory is trapped inside this?" I ask, pointing to the locket.

Death nods slowly. "She is. I can't get the locket to open. No one I've given it to can open it."

"Mind if I try?"

She shrugs.  "Knock yourself out, Elorha."

I pick the locket up, then move it around in my hands, studying it. I put my nails between the two halves of the locket, in an attempt to pry it open. Suddenly, there's a pulsing feeling in my chest, and then, a bright flash of light that comes and goes so quick, it's hard to see.

And then, a blonde haired girl with bright blue eyes stands behind Death, her eyes wide.

"What just happened? Where'd the locket go?" Death demands.

"Death?" Ellory says.

Tears falling down her face, Death faces Ellory. "By my blood, El!" She leaps up, throwing her arms around her lover.

I grin as the two kiss, holding each other close. Rogue pats me on the shoulder.  "Good job, girl."

"How did this happen?" Death asks, finally turning back to me.  She and Ellory have clearly been sobbing. "How did you do what no one else could?"

"Her mortal heart," says Ellory, a smile on her face. "This girl has a mortal heart, like mine. She freed me, because the curse that kept me there made it so only someone with a pure, kind heart of a mortal could free me."

Ruin jumps up and kisses me. "I love you, my dear Elorha. My Mortal-Heart girl."

I smile up at him, and he kisses my forehead.

"Well, this isn't awkward" Rogue mutters, and laughs. "You all are so happy. I love it."

"Thank you," Death says, her eyes on me.  "I cannot thank you enough for all you have done for us."

"It's alright," I say, smiling at her.

Wither walks in then, her face pale. Her groggy expression shifts when she sees Ellory, and then she looks at me. "Uh, what'd I miss?"