Part 76.

The cold came quickly with a blistering chill that year. It was supposedly a record low, but Remus never believed the weathermen, for they were often wrong. Christmas was approaching quickly, and with that came the anxious planning for Harry's gifts.

They wanted to give him something special since he was older now. They would have to find something like they'd never given him before. It took profound and long thoughts, but they knew the perfect answer. The only problem was it would require a trip to Albus Dumbledore's office.

***

"Bambi!"

"I know!"

"He's always late." Sirius yawned into his hand, his other reaching into his pocket to grab his box of cigarettes.

"I wonder where he gets it from," Remus snatched the cigarette out of his mouth.

"-No smoking in the house." Leaning against the doorframe, he kicked the sliding door open and pointed to the lighter on the table, urging him to grab it.

"I'm ready!"

"Brilliant, let's get a move on." Taking the cigarette out of Remus' mouth, he put it in his own and headed for the door.

Hogwarts had never really changed. A few movements of items and a new ghost was normally it. For people like Remus who wouldn't accept a new scenery if it were served on a silver platter, it was a daydream.

"Harry, why don't you run off and find something to do, Moony and I have matters to attend to."

Harry smiled from afar and began to skip the other way. He had attested to some of the paintings, saying that they were particularly kind to him. It seemed as though many of his friends were drawings now, which sparked an odd and quiet disappointment in Sirius. Remus told him it was normal, as he was the same way up to Hogwarts, minus having any magical ability at the time. Harry did have a couple friends at school, but none like Sirius had said he had.

***

"I had many friends" Said Sirius, whipping around in faint disgust.

"Yeah? I wonder why."

"I did!" He said even prouder, grinning. Disbelief from another was an idea he couldn't stand.

"Like who."

"Well, they had-" he paused as if he was searching for an answer better than his own.

"I don't remember their names, they just followed me around."

Remus just smiled in mockery and laughed, realizing what they were bickering over was something they didn't need to worry about. They already had their share of things to argue about.

"They probably got paid by your mother."

***

Opening the heavy wooden door to the office, he scanned over the engraving set upon it. It was the same print on the inside where he used to sit and trace each semicircle and engraved plant. The door he used to sit behind, captive; days before the full moons when a voice above a whisper was piercing.

"Remus, another day another argument." A voice called from his desk up the stairs. Slowly, Remus walked through.

"This should be easy." Sirius called from behind him.

"Oh, lovely. Black's here too."

Albus smiled with a warm chuckle, but through years of observation it became clear it was far more menacing in his eyes.