TWO

CHAPTER TWO: SOMETHING MORE

1943

5 years later

MAGGIE SHELBY ALWAYS DESIRED TO BE MORE.

She believed she inherited that belief from her father. She wanted be more than the average female living in a time of war. Nothing ever stopped her from believing it, having a mother who never held her back. Her father didn't hold her back either, but he wasn't as vocal. Thomas never said it around her, but he knew his daughter was destined to do amazing things. He just prayed that she didn't make the same mistakes he did.

Thomas owned one of the biggest car factories in New York. He was a man known for his prestige reputation after leaving his past wrongdoings. Maggie's mother, Tabitha, was a stay at home wife. She wasn't always that to begin with. In her old life, Tabitha was once a Romani village girl before she met Thomas.

It was after her marriage that she became the founder of many charity organizations under the Shelby name. A woman who earned the title of OBE alongside her husband. After she moved Maggie and herself to America, she decided to live a normal life alongside her husband. Although she lived as a housewife and housemother, it never stopped her for fighting for the rights of women.

Maggie often believed she got her bravery from her mother while inheriting her father's ambition. Maybe that's what led her to doing everything she could to be enlisted in the American Army.

It was 1943 and Maggie was 21 years old. America had just entered the second World War. Men were being called to fight, and Maggie wanted to fight along with them. She didn't want to be a nurse, she wanted to have the right to go into battle just like a man was allowed to. She wanted all women to have that right. So when her best friend Steve tried his best to get into the military, she did the same. Maggie and Steve even went to different enlistment sites together. No matter how many times they tried, the answer was always no. But they wouldn't give up easily.

One Saturday afternoon, Maggie and Steve were at another enlistment site, waiting to speak to the doctor. She stood behind her friend in line, waiting for her turn. Once it was Steve's turn, the doctors eyed the small young man before starting to ask questions.

"Rogers, what did your father die of?" The doctor asked.

"Mustard gas," Steve simply answered. "He was in the 107th Infantry. Mother was a nurse in the TB Ward. Got hit, couldn't shake it. I was hoping I could be assigned..."

"Sorry, son."

"Look, just give me a chance," the blonde argued.

"You'd be ineligible on your asthma alone," the doctor flatly said.

"There's gotta be something I can do."

The doctor gave Steve a look of pity and then he answered. "I'm doing it. I'm saving your life."