EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: THE SECOND ENCOUNTER

"OKAY, HOW EXACTLY. IS THIS. PART OF THE PLAN?"

Maggie asked as Steve helped her into the jet. She pointed at the dress as Steve and Natasha chuckled.

Before Steve and Maggie left to stop Loki in Germany, Natasha pulled the dark haired woman into a ladies room in the Helicarrier. Natasha proceeded to throw a dress on Maggie as well as hold her down to put some makeup on her and fix up her hair. It was an emerald colored halter neck a-line dress with a slit that went to her thigh and a small train. It also had pockets, which surprised Maggie a little.

Other than Hydra, Maggie had a deep hatred for heels after Hydra made her train in them on occasion. As a SHIELD agent, she never wore heels, or dresses for that matter. Honestly, she was happier with modern day fashion than what she had to wear in the 40s.

When Maggie asked Natasha in the bathroom, why she was being forced to dress up, Natasha answered by saying, "It's part of the plan."

On the way to the jet, Maggie had to pick up the bottom of her dress a little so she didn't trip matching champagne colored heels. When Steve saw Maggie make her way to the jet, his eyes widened a little a soft blush came to Maggie's cheeks.

"We need someone inside the gala to watch Loki's movements since he's the distraction," Natasha said, going switches and closing the jet. "You'll also need to distract him, which shouldn't be a problem. You're quite the femme fatale while undercover."

"I'm older than I look and I doubt that I'll be a distraction. More like a fool when I die in these heels," Maggie replied as they began to go in the air. "And there's no way he won't recognize me, he's seen me twice now."

"Get away easiest as you can and contact us with your earpiece or just set up clones of yourself around the building to make it more difficult to find the actual you. Just don't make a scene."

"Don't you have a suit to change into in case you have to fight?" Steve asked Maggie.

"Oh, I have mine. I just don't need to carry it around when it's at the snap of my fingertips."

Maggie then sighed, placing her hands in the pockets of her dress as she sat down. Steve sat down a chair down as silence took over the jet as Natasha flew them to Stuttgart. Maggie was silent but Steve could tell she was nervous. She was more than nervous, she was a little scared after what happened during her meditation. Seeing the underground lair, Clint and Doctor Selvig under mind control and...Loki. Just his name made his odd blue eyes flash in her brain.

"I think you look very nice, Maggie," Steve said, breaking the silence. "For an old woman, I mean." He added, giving his old friend a smirk.

"Wow, thanks," Maggie said sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

"Nervous?"

"No. Just steeling my mind before we land."

At some point, they finally got to Stuttgart. One agent was brave enough to safely escort Maggie into the party. From then on, she was on her own with Natasha talking to her through her ear-piece. Once Maggie was in the building, she got away to the balcony, where she had a perfect of everyone at that party to spot Loki.

An orchestra played, the sweet sound of strings reaching Maggie's ears as she drank the glass of champagne in her hand. Normal human beings talking and laughing with one another dressed in black suit and ties and dresses. She only went undercover on that kind of mission only once during her imprisonment at Hydra. After that, they put her in cryo-freeze for a very long time.