Chapter 45

Derek's POV

We stand in the corridor for a while, until Leon groans in pain again, which gets the Doctor's attention.

"Are you giving birth?" He asks.

"Yeah." Leon answers, with a pained expression.

"Alright, let's see if everything's going alright." The Doctor says, and he helps Leon stand up, before he takes him back to the room that I put him in earlier.

I stay in the corridor for a few more seconds, looking longingly at the door that leads to Noel, but I know that he's still sleeping, and the Doctor won't be happy if I will go there without his permission.

So, I go inside of the room that Leon's in, and I sit on the bed next to him.

We stay here for a long few minutes, while the Doctor does some examinations to Leon.

Before the Doctor looks at Leon, with an unhappy expression.

"What?" Leon asks, looking worriedly at the Doctor.

"The baby isn't in a right position, and it will be unsafe for the kid to come out like this, so I should take it out now." He explains.

"You will cut my stomach open?" Leon asks him, looking like he's about to panic.

"Yes, but that's not the worst part." The Doctor tells him.

"What's wrong?" I ask, since Leon seems too scared to do it.

"I don't have the medicine that I use to put someone to sleep before the surgery, I used the last one on Noel, and I have no idea when I will get a new delivery, since there is some problem with it right now." He explains, and my eyes widen.

"Please tell me that you're not saying what I think that you're saying." I tell him, and he bites his bottom lip, not knowing what to tell me.

"The knife will be very sharp, so it won't be very painful." He tries to convince us.

Leon quickly shakes his head, and he tries to stand up from the bed, but I stop him.

"Will the kid survive if we will let him be born the natural way?" I ask the Doctor.

"He will most likely survive, although there will definitely be some consequences, he might lose his legs, arms, or he might suffocate if he won't come out quick enough." He explains.

I look at Leon, and he starts to cry when I he realises what's about to happen.

"It will be fine." I tell him, but it just makes him cry harder.

The Doctor leaves for a while, to get everything ready, so Leon's parents come inside the room, and I explain to them what will happen.

They seem as scared about it as we are, but they decide that they will stay in the room for some support, and most likely to help me hold Leon down for the duration of the surgery.

So, we wait for the Doctor in an uncomfortable silence, which makes us all even more worried, but neither of us knows what to say.