1. Dead

A couple years ago the world has changed.

Things which once were said to only happen in movies and comics started to happen all over the world.

It first happened in France, the place where the first "Gate" opened.

It was as a monstrous Gate which suddenly appeared in the middle of the street. They didn't know what to do and choose to observe instead of entering it. But after a week the Gate opened after "No challenger has entered", and what came out was horrifying. Giant dragons, ogres, orcs, elves, goblins and all sorts of fantasy creatures started invading what once was called France and destroyed it in less than three days.

Soon after Gates started to appear all over the world and unleashed destruction upon it, like never before. A couple weeks after no nation had remained. Instead, they were forced to become one, calling themselves The Empire. The Empire quickly build five giant artificial countries spread across the Pacific Ocean, using the last resources from each of the former nations, escaping into the ocean to rebuild themselves.

Since that the people lived in constant fear, not knowing when the enemies will find them again and finish what they once started.

But that was only until a man suddenly beat one of those Gates. This one was no other than the Sword Saint Michael, who after beating the Gate became a "Player". These "Players" become part of the Apocalypse system as gift for entering and completing the Gate, marking them as Player, and receive special skills depending on their Fate, Believe, Desires, Soul, and Luck.

Soon after that happened, many people tried to become Players themselves by entering Gates and clearing them. After all a Player possesses anything, anyone could ever desire, Fame, Money, Power or everything else one could seek in such a world. The Empire even helped those people to become Players and covered all cost and even paid the debt of those who enter a Gate. A couple years passed since then and many managed to become Players while even more died trying.

Inside the Gate only one rule existed, "Survival of the Fittest".

That was one of the biggest reasons why everyone who wished to become a Player and escape their fate gave up since the risk was too high.

But for me it wasn't.

For me it was either becoming a Player or die trying.

Only in that way I would be able to change my live and save the person most important to me, my mother.

She was terminally ill and currently staying in a hospital to be kept alive. After she was attack by a monster from a Gate, she fell in a deep slumber called fairy-hour which slowly drains her of her live force. Unlike other kids in my age which normally gone to college, or work, I chose to become a Player. This was the only way to pay the hospital bills which will soon put on me.

Because of that I'm here now, inside one of those Gates, called dungeon, ready to become a Player myself and change my fate.

Alongside me was a group of 10 people and another person a Player who guided them.

He was from one of the five large guilds called: "Walhalla".

But something was off.

He was too nice. And his constant smile made it even worse. But apparently, I've been the only one to notice that. The others just kept following him without any hesitation, giving their lives into his hands.

"Whatever... I should just--", Before I could finish my mumbling the Player appeared in front of me.

"Your name was..."