chapter 17 - to make you feel my love

[a/n : song title is from "Make you feel my Love" and the one I had in mind was the Bob Dylan version]

For the first time in a long time, Nini slept soundly. Her bed was usually not this warm or comfy, but when she opened her eyes, she realized she had slept with her head on Ricky's bare chest, his arm wrapped around her back. It was her favorite way to wake up. She smiled thinking about last night and placed a chaste kiss on Ricky's chin before moving to get up.

"Don't. Move." Ricky said holding her in place. His eyes were still closed but Nini could see the hint of his smug little smirk creeping up the corner of his lips.

"I have to go and check on Bob." Nini said playfully trying to get out of his grip. It was true though. The labrador normally woke her up in the morning, licking her fingers in greeting, but there was no sign of him today. "You have to get our child to school.."

"Alright ... I'm up.." Ricky sat up straight upon the mention of Joel but he was pouting. Nini sat with him and kissed it off his face. She couldn't help it, she just wanted to keep kissing him. She tried to get up once more, but Ricky's strong arms would not let her go.

"Rick.. I would really love to have a lazy day and stay in bed with you all day, but we really gotta get up." She said kissing his hand.

"Fineeee. One more kiss." Ricky said kissing her cheek. "Now you can go."
_____________

Nini had been gone for 30 seconds and Ricky missed her already. He couldn't explain how he felt. He was just truly happy. They needed to talk, of course, but he can finally say he was ready for it. He put on his shirt and finally got out of bed when he caught sight of his wife at the door. She was crying.

"Ricky.." Nini sniffled. He was at her side in an instant.  He held her in his arms while she mumbled into his chest, "I think Bob is really sick."

He looked at her and his heart broke. He knew how much Bob meant to her. He meant a lot to Ricky too. Bob was the witness to their second chance, and when Ricky proposed to Nini (the first time), Bob was a part of the elaborate plan. Right now, Nini looked like the high school girl Ricky fell in love with all those years ago. So pure and innocent and Ricky just wanted to protect her from this cruel world.

"Shh. Don't cry, baby. It'll be okay" Ricky rubbed her back soothingly. "Show me."

Nini led him to where Bob was lying down. Her fingers gripping Ricky's tightly. Ricky squeezed in response, letting her know he was there for her. Ricky took one look at Bob, and his heart dropped. The Labrador was lying on his side, his breathing shallow and his food untouched.

"He .. didn't.. respond when I called him." Nini coughed out between sobs, "He wouldn't eat anything .."

Ricky stroked Bob's head and he could see Bob kind of blinking every time he did that. He held Nini close to him, "Look, he blinks whenever I touch his head.. that looks like a response.. I'll call the vet. Give me a few minutes. You stay here with Bob, ok."
___________

Ricky somehow got the vet to come to her apartment. She had taken one look at Bob and Nini could see it in her blue orbs... there was nothing she could do. Explanations poured out of her mouth, but nothing made sense to Nini. Everything seemed to come to a stop and moved way too fast at the same time. Ricky was staying strong for her, but she could tell he was holding back his own tears that threatened to spill over.

Once the vet left, Nini managed to make it back to the floor and lay beside her dog. She reminisced the day she got him. She and Ricky were broken up, and EJ had somehow convinced her to rescue a puppy. At one point, Ricky, who was trying to win her back, mistakenly thought Bob was a guy she was seeing. She smiled at the memory. Bob had been on so many of their dates.