Chapter Fourteen: Why Does It Hurt?

A/N: Finished chapter 16, so y'all get another update 🫡🫶

You guys should listen to "Anymore" by Somi 🥲

Chapter contains...um... mean words & stuff 💀👌

"Naur way...it's snowing!" Jake says in English. Heeseung shivered as the wind blew against his face. Jungwon sat down on the ground, unbothered by the possibility that his clothes would get dirty.

Ni-ki smiled as he looked up at the sky. He closed his eyes as the snowflakes landed gently on his face.

"Oh...look at Ni-ki being so pretty." Heeseung teases. Ni-ki ignores him and keeps his head turned towards the sky. The three of them are quiet as they watch him. Jay, Sunghoon, and Sunoo were inside already. Only the four of them chose to brave the cold.

"Riki?" Ni-ki flinched at his real name being called. But still, he ignored Jungwon too. The three of them exchanged glances. Heeseung pulled Jungwon inside, leaving Jake alone with Ni-ki. Jake took a few hesitant steps towards the younger and then wrapped his arms around him.

Ni-ki's tears fell, but he was quiet. He didn't hide his face or shake...he was just...still.

Jake rubbed his back and watched his tears travel from his eyes, across his cheek, and down under his chin, where they dropped away from him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Jake asks quietly. Ni-ki took a deep breath and exhaled it silently. He shook his head and finally opened his eyes, settling them on Jake's.

"I'm okay." Ni-ki says. Jake frowns.

"You don't have to be so mature Ni-ki. You can cry. You can scream. You can ask for a break."

"Really, I'm okay." Ni-ki insists. He wasn't in the mood for one of Jake's speeches. They never really made sense anyway. Jake pulled away and searched Ni-ki's eyes.

But there was nothing there.

No sadness, longing, anger...there was no hint of happiness, fear, or hope either.

Jake almost flinched at how empty Ni-ki's dark eyes were. Ni-ki maintained eye contact, almost daring Jake to say something else. But, he doesn't. He backs down and starts walking towards the cabin they were staying in for the next few days.

Ni-ki stared out into the treeline, his head completely empty as he turned his emotions back off.

Not now. There's too much to do. Go back down so I can lock you up again. Ni-ki thought silently.

He felt it.

How inside felt colder than outside.