Notes

I know these notes are a little too much for a fanfic, but I promise that this books langue is not heavy.
I just wanted to make sure that everyone understands the terms and things in the book. You can read all if you're curious, but if you just want a short explanation,
I underlined the important points like that.

Author note: At the times that fanfiction is going, men's same-sex relationships were governed by a code of ethics described as nanshoku (male eroticism) or shudō (the way of youths) in the context of which elite men were able to pursue boys and young men who had not yet undergone their coming-of-age ceremonies. This book is NOT accurate to these, and MAIN characters has their own ideas, but out of fear they will NOT act according to their own opinions (at least in front of people).

Now now, im going to give a little information about the important terms that are going to be in book.

Waraji; Waraji are sandals woven from straw. It was a standard slipper worn by most Japanese people in the past. Nowadays, more Buddhist monks wear it. It was also preferred for long roads.

Shiro and Tenshu:

Shiro is basically a Japanese caste.

Tenshu is an architectural typology found in Japanese castle complexes. They are easily identifiable as the highest tower within the castle.

Chigo:

Please look at media for an example!!!

Chigo is a term used in the traditional culture of Japan. Chigo generally refers to young boys who take part in Shinto worship ceremonies. These children take part in important rituals in temples or festive processes. Chigo's election and involvement in temple rituals has an important symbolic meaning in traditional Japanese culture. This practice has been used in the past to symbolize the purity and innocence of children.

It could also be adolescent males who were given room, board, and education in exchange for. their companionship and sexual services, which they were obliged to provide.

Chigo's choice is usually made by temple or festival organizers. Generally, children between the ages of 8 and 12 are preferred. The selection of Chigo is usually based on certain criteria, for example factors such as family origin, health status and physical characteristics are taken into account.

Chigo's duties include performing important symbolic acts in temple ceremonies, carrying or presenting sacred objects, and taking part in rituals such as dancing or singing. Chigo's role is a figure who is expected to bring blessings and good wishes to temple visitors.

A Chigo's makeup is often complemented by a minimal and elegant look. Not too many extra ornaments or accessories are used. Attention focuses on white skin, red lips and black eyes.

Shudō:

A type of relationship called "shudō" was common practice among samurai in the Edo period (17th century). Shudō referred to same-sex relationships, defined as a superior-subordinate relationship, usually between an older samurai and a young apprentice, or servant. These relationships had both sexual and emotional dimensions and were considered a teaching and protecting relationship.

About Samurais and families:

Samurai were noble warriors who held a high position in the social hierarchy and often served in the service of high-ranking rulers such as daimyo (feudal lords) or shogun (general).

The children of samurai families were raised as individuals with the responsibility of belonging to the warrior class and continuing their family's legacy. Children were brought up to protect the dignity and honor of the family and were endowed with important roles and duties in their society.

Bushido:

Bushido is the name of the ethical and moral code that determines the lifestyle and moral principles of the samurai, the traditional warriors of Japan. It is derived from the Japanese words "bushi" (warrior) and "do" (path or teaching) and can also be translated as "Warrior Way". Bushido was considered a guiding system that regulated the lives and social behavior of the samurai. The main features of Bushido are:

1. Virtues and Principles: Bushido taught samurai to live a life based on moral values and virtues. Among these virtues were values such as courage, honesty, loyalty, generosity, justice, self-control, and honor.

2. Honor and Seppuku: Bushido believed that the honor of the samurai was sacred and would accept ritual suicide, known as "seppuku", when necessary to preserve their dignity. Seppuku referred to the honorable suicide of the samurai by cutting his own stomach.

3. Loyalty and Service: The samurai were devoted to and served loyally to high-ranking rulers such as daimyo (feudal lords) or shogun (general). Loyalty and service were of great importance to the samurai and contributed to the maintenance of social order in society.

4. Liberation: Bushido was also considered a doctrine that liberated the samurai. Through self-control and emancipation, the samurai aimed to become stronger and virtuous warriors by combating their own weaknesses.

5. Arts and Literature: Bushido taught not only to engage in warrior skills, but also to engage in arts and cultural activities such as literature, poetry, flower arrangement, tea ceremony. This was important not only for the physical strength of the samurai, but also for their spiritual and mental development.

Bushido has been influential in Japan for a long time as the life philosophy of the samurai and has been an important part of Japanese culture. Today, it is regarded as an important symbol of traditional values and ethical code in Japan.

More about Seppuku:

Ceremonial abdomen removal, which is usually part of a more elaborate ritual and performed in front of an audience, consists of stabbing a short blade, traditionally a tantō, into the navel and opening the navel by drawing the blade from left to right. If the incision is deep enough, it may cut through the abdominal aorta, causing rapid death from blood loss.

Seppuku completion/Kaishaku:

"There was a possibility that someone who lost consciousness and struggled around in the seppuku area would not be able to complete their seppuku, in such cases someone trusted by the samurai would be chosen to complete the seppuku. This person would wait in the back during the seppuku and then cut off the samurai's head."

The Concept of Masculinity:

For the samurai, masculinity was associated with virtues such as strength, courage, discipline, loyalty, personal responsibility, and sacrifice. Samurai sought to have these virtues on the battlefield and in daily life, and sought to be recognized as respected and reliable individuals in their society.

I felt like writing a whole ass article while writing this💀

Big big thanks to my friend Kaede and his older brother Heigozaemon, for letting me borrow their books and helping me for my personal education about their history (which I am very grateful for them for showing me that trust. Some of those books were family heirlooms and had no spouses.).

If you're curious about history like me, here are some books that I cited:

-Hagakure Kikigaki by Tsunetomo Yamamoto

-Murasaki Shikibu nikki

-Genji Monogatari by Murasaki Shikibu

-Lost Japan by Alex Kerr.

Then, let's get to book!