Chapter Eight

Phoebe had been relieved when she found out Sarah and the other maids had been unharmed. The halfling had still been a bit traumatized, and she could tell she was younger than the others. Likely still eighteen or whatever the demon equivalent was to that. Now she definitely didn't regret trying to protect her or the other maids.

Though, when Gloria had heard what had happened, she had been scolded for "acting so recklessly." She wasn't sure why everyone thought she was so helpless. Even if she wasn't the most powerful priestess, she could handle herself. Besides, she hadn't gotten hurt and neither had anyone else. Yet everyone seemed to be on Krios's side and thought she should have just run away.

She was a little annoyed, but she knew that they meant well. And at least the guards hadn't found any more devils, only those four. Unfortunately, there were victims found near the stables. Two young demons, dead with their throats sliced open. She had tried to find out more, but it didn't seem appropriate to pry when there had been a loss.

Still, she had questions. Everyone around her had called those monsters "devils." Back home, they were just demons. But the demons here and those "devils" were entirely different. She wanted to know why. The devils were so bloodthirsty and vicious, behaving more like animals than people. Even Krios, who had no issues killing without remorse, still acted with sentience.

She couldn't find the right time to ask though. By the time everything had settled, it was already night and she was left alone in her bedroom to sleep. Not that she could. She just lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling. There were too many questions running through her mind to sleep peacefully.

With a huff, she sat up and looked around the room. If there was no one around to answer her questions, then she needed to just find the answers herself. And there was always one place she would go to back home if she ever needed answers.

She shuffled out of bed and grabbed a robe. It felt so weird wearing these expensive nightgowns that seemed so flimsy and sheer. The square neckline and thin straps showed more of her cleavage than she was used to. She was grateful that it at least went down past her knees, but she still felt so exposed. Thankfully the robe gave her more coverage and if she ran into anyone outside, she wouldn't be so exposed.

Quietly, she walked out of the room and into the hallway. She watched the door across from hers for a few moments. While she wasn't sure if Krios was asleep or not, she didn't want to run into him. Every time they met, he drove her crazy. She wanted to hit and scream at him, but when he would touch her, her body would get all hot and her mind would get fuzzy.

Even now, just thinking about him had her chest tightening up. Grumbling to herself, she channeled her mana to create a soft light in her hand. Maybe, in addition to getting answers to her questions, she could figure out if there was a way to break their soulmate connection.

Using Lady Seraphine's memories, Phoebe eventually found herself standing in front of a pair of black double doors. This used to be a huge room that was often used by scholars to study and carve text into stone. Since they now had written word, she doubted there would be much use for that. Still, it had been such a huge room; surely it would have been changed to something more useful.

And her hunch was correct when she opened the door. A magnificent library greeted her, with dozens of shelves stretching high above to the ceiling. There were large tables and comfortable chairs scattered around, giving her plenty of places to sit and do research. And there didn't seem to be anyone else inside either, meaning she had the entire library to herself.

A bright smile came to her face. What she couldn't learn from people, she could always find out for herself in books. Back when she was living at the Temple, she would often go to the library and read whenever she had trouble sleeping. Usually she would read some casual fiction books to pass the times, but she was here for research.