Chapter:40

Killua POV

         After nothing but chairs, hammocks and the occasional rock like bed, one might suspect I slept pleasantly. The bed was soft and spacious. The room was dark and quiet. But they would suspect wrong. I don't recall falling asleep, but I remember the dreams.

         In the silence and security of this facility, I could hear them with more clarity. Screams. Gunfire. I could see their faces. One. Two. Ten. Twenty. More and more until I lost count. All looking at me with three eyes. Two white as the winter snow and a third in the middle that glowed like raging fire.

        The dream has come and gone for weeks. Every time I wake up in a sweat. My heart pounds in my ears. Racing as if I had sprinted kilometers without end. I rub at my throat. It felt like sand. I only hope I wasn't screaming again. I look to my left. My eyes long since adjusted to the dark of the room.

       I see Gon. Sound asleep one arm over his head and one hand resting on Alice, who had taken residence on his chest. She rose and fell gently with his breathing.

       I recall linking fingers with him last night and a heat rose to my cheeks. I question the decision now despite the wave of relief I felt then. Why did I? Because he has acted gentle and kind to me? Or because I know it makes him happy?

       Ever since reading his journal and learning his secrets I've wondered about where my affections lie. I grew up with my family. Rarely did I see someone outside the family. Nobody my age. I suppose I never got to experience things as a regular child would in my youth. Crushes and first loves.

       Is that what he is now? Has he upgraded from savior to my first love? I shake my head. "Stop it Zoldyck." I mutter. If I wonder over such things it will impede me. Despite trying to push the thought away, it remained.

      I don't see myself falling back to sleep now. Even if the nightmare hadn't been there. I slide smoothly out of the bed and go to the wall. I press my hand against it before leaning my forehead on it as well. The cool smooth concrete is a pleasant relief from the heat that radiates from my skin.

        "Wish I could go out. Get some air."

       I flinch when I hear a light knock on the door. I step away from the wall and look around the room but don't spot a clock. Someone come to grab Gon? Or me?

       I go to the door and crack it open slightly. Pulling fear into my German. "Y-yes?" I stutter out.

       The response I get comes back in German. "You're Killua Zoldyck, aren't you?"

        My breathing hitches. My heart has leapt up into my throat. "You are, aren't you? You fit the description. White hair. Blue eyes. Austrian accent. Come on out. Let's have a chat." The voice says to me calmly. The calm level of its tone made me feel uneasy. On top of that, the accent was unfamiliar to me.

       I look back slightly to the sleeping form of the Englishman before stepping out. My eyes take a moment to adjust to the hall lights but I see the red hair clearly. "What are you talking about?" I growl. I doubt lying will help, so it's best I don't let him think I'm scared.

       "So you are. Well isn't that a fascinating development?" Morrow says. "Come with me." He says turning away.

         "I'm not taking a single step unless you explain."

         "Be patient and I will. Just follow. That is unless you want the general to know who you are." He continues on his stride. I clench my fists before following.