Chapter 1

I trudged down the dark road.

The night was still. Very still.

The cheap phone I'd bought died a few days before. The police were currently tracking me, although they would find nothing but my old cell wedged in the seat of a bus, hundreds of miles from where I currently was.

After what happened, I wanted to put as much space between myself and civilization. Too many things could go wrong around people.

I didn't know what was happening to me.

And I hadn't a clue where I was heading.

Hopefully into the mountains, where I could be alone.

A bright moon lit the black asphalt, giving me enough light to see. A howl sounded in the distance. I picked up pace, even though my legs ached and my feet were sore. It'd be unfortunate if I was attacked by a wolf or a cougar, and left to die. Alone.

But maybe it would be better if I died now rather than later. Who knows what I could do? How many more would die because of me?

Suddenly, a dull ring began in my ears.

I tried to ignore it, but it only grew louder, and very quickly it became a deafening roar.

I covered my ears.

The noise consumed me.

The wind picked up.

I cried out.

Then whimpered.

It split my skull, sending pain throughout my head into my entire body.

"Make it stop, make it stop. Please make it stop," I pleaded.

I fell to the ground as it only grew louder. I could feel it vibrating through me. Around me.

Leaves and branches blew about in a cyclone.

I cried out in pain. I felt like I was being ripped apart, shred by shred.

All of a sudden, the noise stopped.

The pain remained.

It hurt me.

Again.

The wind still blew around wildly, bringing in a few storm clouds.

I crawled to my knees, hugging my arms around me.

Large drops of rain began to fall.

Every nerve in my body felt like it was on fire. The fiercest headache raged in my brain.

I was soaked to the bone in a matter of seconds, and I shivered as it brought cool relief to my hot skin.

"God," I cried, "please help me, I don't know what's happening . . . I'm scared." I wrapped my arms tighter and buried my head and heaved a sob. Tears mixed with rain—or rain mixed with tears, I didn't know what was happening anymore.

After some time, most of the pain subsided. I picked myself up and continued trudging down the road.

The cool relief of the rain turned to a frigid, unrelenting cold.

Lightning tore through the sky, accompanied by a booming thunder.

I hated thunderstorms.

A half-hour later, I came upon a gas station.

There wasn't a soul in sight, and I couldn't tell if it was closed or abandoned.

Either way, it was a shelter.

I curled up on the bench under the roof's overhang, exhausted, and closed my eyes.

The headache still pounded madly, the pain brought fresh with each heartbeat.

I drifted off as the storm raged on.