Chapter 10

I ran.

That must have left Logan dumbfounded. Or maybe he saw it coming because he tackled me not ten seconds later.

I heard my heartbeat pounding in my ears; I heard his, too. Blood rushing in our veins. Brain cells firing.

I hit the ground hard, sparks erupting against my eyes, rolling down the short incline, and slamming into the stone wall. The impact left me dizzy but I managed to get to my feet, the world spun around me.

I vaguely noticed Logan in front of me, he'd landed on his feet well. All my senses zeroed in on him, which is why I didn't hear the approaching vehicles.

"Woah there, slow down kid," he said in a low tone.

Everything felt foggy and distant like I was watching from the other side of a dark tunnel. My mind separated from my body.

"You're alright," Logan continued, daring a few steps closer.

My fist shot up instinctively to ward him away.

His gaze flickered from my face to my hand, then back.

My vision panned like a camera, following his, toward my fist.

Three long bone claws protruded from between my knuckles, long and knife-like. Blood dripped down my clenched fingers.

The reality of the situation hit me like a bucket of ice water, and my mind slammed back into my body. I cried out in surprise, pulling back my hand. The claws naturally retracted, thrumming into my forearm.

My heartbeat continued loudly, overpowering everything else. What? How did that happen? When did that happen? I had claws like an animal or like some monster. I looked up at Logan in fear. What would he do to me now that he'd seen what I was?

He took a step toward me and opened his mouth to say something when a blaring siren interrupted, and I finally noticed the three black sedans on the roadway. Darkly clad figures rushed out. Agents? Soldiers?!

They had guns.

Logan grabbed my shoulder, bringing my attention back to him. His face was grave, maybe questioning. "Listen to me—"

A ringing shout cut him off. "Sir, step away from the fugitive. I want everyone's hands on their heads."

He looked up at the vehicles, and then a hand went towards his pocket, retrieving a phone. The sudden movement caused the soldiers to open fire. As many as twelve darts hit his chest.

Logan suddenly seemed extremely annoyed and he muttered a curse, along with something about things always getting in the way. He somehow dialed a number on his phone before another round of darts hit him and he stumbled backward, then dropped unceremoniously to the ground.

I shrieked as he fell, and took a half-step before I felt something pierce my neck. Everything went dark.

***

I felt myself hit the ground. I heard the steady breathing of Logan a yard away, felt the damp grass beneath me, and sensed the soldiers approaching.

It felt like a dream, my mind was partially awake even though my body wasn't.

My senses extended around me, pushing further past the wall, and I felt the auras of the two teens I'd seen earlier. I reached past them, soaring over the swaying of trees and the croaks of frogs. At a large structure, a door closed sharply, echoing over the hills. Voices were raised, tense. A small group left the structure, which I assumed to the the mansion.

Hands pulled at my shoulders, bringing me back to my current location. Arms lifted me, and after a few sways, cool leather lay below me. A car door thumped shut. An engine turned over. Gears and belts and coolants creaked and ran and rushed.

Then my senses left me and I was completely out.