Chapter 5

~

.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.

A chilly wind blew down my back, through my thin shirt.

Winter was coming faster than I'd thought.

I didn't have any extra clothes. My backpack only held what was already in there before I ran.

I needed to find a warm place to hide for the winter. Quickly. Someplace secluded. Someplace safe. I had little hope of making it to Florida before the snow. I wasn't even sure if I was heading south.

Our house would be warm. My room would be cozy. I'd have my fluffy blanket to bundle in. Hot coffee.

A fire would be crackling in the hearth downstairs. Mom would be singing some old song from her black-and-white movies in the other room. We'd eat dinner, all together, then sit in the living room, playing Jenga. Mom would win.

I jumped as an owl hooted through the night. The wind whistled through the trees, bringing me out of my fantasy.

No, Mom wouldn't be there. Not now. Not ever again.

Not even if I still wasn't a freak.

No, Mom, Dad, me, we'd never play Jenga like that again.

What did Dad think of me now? On top of being a loser, now I was a murderer, an even bigger burden and stain upon his countenance. He was probably glad I was finally gone.

Heck, I'd probably be gone soon, anyway.

As soon as someone else recognized me.

Just then, I reached the top of a tall hill.

Across, in the great sky, the sun rose, throwing shades of yellow and pink across the expanse. A few wisps of leftover clouds still floated, now showing how vast the valley before me was. And below it all, a city, complete with highrises and everything. Worther.

I felt a small twinge of hope. Maybe by now, the strange power had faded. Maybe this time, nothing otherworldly would happen. Maybe here, in this beautiful city, I could spend the winter. Maybe get a job. Meet some new friends.

Suddenly, images flashed before my eyes.

The city before me flickered, and I saw it in flames.

And at the center of it all, me. A murderous super-human, just like the X-men. Maybe the news reporters weren't wrong after all, I was one of them.

I sank to the ground, consumed by thoughts. And I banished the picture of flames from my mind, and with it, the fantasy of being free from myself.

Forget the X-men.

Like they'd said.

I was the x.

The unknown factor.

Dangerous. Lethal. Unpredictable.

I had a mission.

Get into the city, undetected. Get supplies. Get information. Get out.