Feasts And Odd Dreams

Hey everyone, sorry it's been a while, I had to rewind a bit to readjust some of the writing I was doing because it was clashing with some of the things I said here, but I'll be posting the first three chapters of the sequel sometime this month as well as finishing off this book. Anyway, here's another chapter, hope you enjoy!

Percy

The Feast of Fortuna had nothing to do with tuna, which was fine with me.

Campers, Amazons, and Lares crowded the mess hall for a lavish dinner. Even fauns were invited since they'd helped out bandaging the wounded after the battle. Wind nymphs zipped around the room, delivering orders of pizza, burgers, steak, salads, Chinese food, and burritos, all flying at terminal velocity.

Despite the exhausting battle, everyone was in good spirits. Casualties had been light, and the few campers who'd previously been brought back to life, like Gwen, hadn't been taken to the Underworld. Maybe Thanatos had turned a blind eye. Or maybe Pluto had given those folks a pass, like he had for Hazel. Whatever the case, nobody complained.

Colorful Amazon and Roman banners hung side-by-side from the rafters. The restored golden eagle stood proudly behind the praetor's table, and the walls were decorated with cornucopias- magical horns of plenty that spilled out recycling waterfalls of fruit, chocolate, and fresh-baked cookies.

The cohorts mingled freely with the Amazons, jumping from couch to couch as they pleased, and for once the soldiers of the Fifth were welcome everywhere. I changed seats so many times I lost track of my dinner.

There was a lot of flirting and arm-wrestling- which seemed to be the same thing for the Amazons, a trait Lani was happy to play to her advantage. At one point I was cornered by Kinzie, the Amazon who'd disarmed me in Seattle. I had to explain that I already had a girlfriend. Fortunately Kinzie took it well. She told me what had happened after we'd left Seattle- how Hylla had defeated her challenger Otrera in two consecutive duels to the death, so that the Amazons were now calling their queen Hylla Twice-Kill.

"Otrera stayed dead the second time" Kinzie said, batting her eyes. "We have you to thank for that. If you ever need a new girlfriend... well I think you'd look great in an iron collar and an orange jumpsuit. Plus your sister would make a hot Amazon."

I couldn't tell if she was kidding or not. I politely thanked her and changed seats.

Once everyone had eaten and the plates stopped flying, Reyna made a short speech. She formally welcomed the Amazons, thanking them for their help. Then she hugged her sister, and everyone applauded.

Reyna raised her hands for quiet. "My sister and I haven't always seen eye to eye-"

Hylla laughed. "That's an understatement."

"She joined the Amazons," Reyna continued. "I joined Camp Jupiter. But looking around this room, I think we both made good choices. Strangely, our destinies were made possible by the hero you all raised to praetor on the battlefield- Percy Jackson."

More cheering. The sisters raised their glasses to me before Reyna raised her hands for quiet once more.

"Of course, another warrior fought valiantly, and did perhaps the best thing anyone could do after a battle. Lani Jackson, you understand that battle goes farther than the individual, you made that clear when you gave your brother the glory of defeating the giant Polybotes, but your recovery of the Standard, will not go unnoticed."

My twin stiffened in surprise and I dragged her up to the front with me. Everybody asked for a speech. Lani protested that what she had done wasn't a big deal, and I protested that I'm not the best person for praetor, but the campers drowned us both out with applause. Reyna took away our probation neck plates. Octavian shot us a dirty look, then turned to the crowd and smiled like this was all his idea. He ripped open a teddy bear and pronounced good omens for the coming year- Fortuna would bless us! He passed a hand over my arm and shouted: "Percy Jackson, son of Neptune, first year of service!"