I Remember the Dam Snack Bar

Lani

As we sped past a group of sea lions lounging on the docks, an old homeless guy was sitting among them. From across the water, the old man pointed a bony finger at Percy and mouthed something like, Don't even think about it.

"Did you see that" Hazel asked.

My brother's face was read in the sunset. "Yeah. I've been here before. I... I don't know. I think I was looking for my girlfriend"

"Annabeth" Frank said, "You mean on your way to Camp Jupiter?"

Percy frowned and I shook my head. "No. Before that, I feel like I remember something too. I think Zoe was with us" I said as my twin scanned the city like he was still looking for Annabeth until we passed under the Golden Gate Bridge and turned North.

As my brother controlled the boat, I surveyed the sky, it was going to start getting dark soon, and I found myself wishing night would come sooner. I wanted to see the stars. Thinking about the stars made my brand burn and I clenched my jaw. Slowly lowering my fingertips into the waves, I focused on the powerful feeling instead of the pain.

"You okay?" Frank asked, but his question was, unsurprisingly, directed at Hazel, "You look queasy"

"Seasickness" she confessed. "I didn't think it would be this bad"

Frank pouted like it was his fault. Then he started digging in his pack. "I've got some nectar. And some crackers. Um, my grandmother say ginger helps... I don't have any of that, but-"

I decided to tune out their conversation. Feeling Percy's power over the boat wane as he got more and more lost in thought. I took over, willing the boat on. Trying to keep the boat as steady as possible for Hazel.

As we passed Stinson Beach, Percy pointed inland, where a single mountain rose above the green hills.

"That looks familiar" he said.

"Mount Tam" Frank said. "Kids at camp are always talking about it. Big battle happened on the summit, at the old Titan base"

Percy frowned, "Were either of you there?"

"No" Hazel said. "That was back in August, before I- um, before I got to camp. Jason told me about it. The legion destroyed the enemy's palace and about a million monsters. Jason had to battle Krios— hand-to-hand combat with a Titan if you can imagine"

"I can imagine" I muttered.

Hazel looked at me quizzically, like I was a jigsaw puzzle she was trying to piece together. Then she passed out. Frank caught her as she slumped. My eyes widened and I was pulled into a memory that I knew I wouldn't remember when I woke up.

A girl stood in front of me I recognized her as Zoe. She looked confused and all I did was laugh.

"Yes. What is funny?"

"Nothing" the faun from last nights dream, Grover, told the girl while struggling to keep a straight face. "I could use some dam French fries"

Another girl, with spiky black hair and electrifying blue eyes smiled at that. "And I need to use the dam restroom"

Zoe looked at Percy, the girl, Grover and I with a blank expression as we laughed. "I do not understand"

"I want to use the dam water fountain" I wheezed out.

"And..." the girl tried to catch her breath. "I want to buy a dam T-shirt"

Percy was laughing so hard he couldn't speak. I looked at the confused look on Zoe's face and a warm feeling spread throughout my chest. The girl's ears started to turn red, but it might have been from annoyance at the time.