Chapter 2: Those Gone Are Never Forgotten

AN: This chapter is very bittersweet. Prepare your tissues.

For about the 10th time, Four looked at himself using his phone's front-facing camera, smoothing out his hair.  It was a bit pointless seeing as he was keeping his hat, but he really wanted to look his best. He had swapped out his normal outfit for a light blue dress shirt, white dress pants, and a pair of black loafers. He could've left out his hat but it's iconic! Sure, this wasn't about him but he still was a guest of honor! He can at least look good AND make his presence known.

With a shaky sigh, he headed toward the back of the school. Even after so long, the school was the same. Same brick buildings. Same cobblestone paths. Same brick fences with steel poles. Meme School was one of the best times of his life. Why wouldn't it be? Not only was he a top student, but he was also popular. But looking back...he may have been a bit of a jerk, especially to Three...

'Wait....Three?' Leaning up against the opening to the courtyard was Three. He was wearing a dark purple dress shirt, black pants, black shoes, and a black trench jacket. He hadn't noticed Four, scrolling through his phone.

Four was completely taken aback. He hadn't expected Three to come at all. Not after what he had said and honestly? Four couldn't blame him at all for not wanting to show up.

But this was a pleasant surprise "I thought you weren't coming." Four said, coming to stand next to Three. 

"Yeah well...I changed my mind." Three said, putting away his phone. He crossed his arms, letting out a sigh. "Like you said, Nikolai was my friend. Just because I know this is a sham doesn't mean everyone else does. He deserves to have his memory honored. And even though I hate being a pawn in this public relations scheme...I still want to say goodbye." He looked down, expression somber.

"Hey, don't worry." Four gave his arm a reassuring squeeze "I came to a similar conclusion. I think you made the right call. Don't worry. I'm right here with you." He gave Three a smile.

"Yeah, thanks man. I needed that." Three said, smiling back "Come on. I'm ready to go in now." Four nodded, following him into the courtyard.

The courtyard was huge, about 3 acres of land. There were fences on the left and right but on the back was a forest that acted as a natural fence. The front area was paved while the back was just grass and left alone unless students were playing soccer or some other field game. Usually, there would be picnic tables, but all of that had been cleared away. On the paved area were hundreds of white folding chairs, all in neat rows. On the left side, the side opposite of the entrance were three tables, completely covered in individual white tablecloths. A variety of snacks were laid out on them. And at the front of it all was a folding stage. Four remember it was also used in their graduation ceremony. It was black with a fabric trim that hid the supports. Normally there would be steps and a ramp on both sides, but for today it was just on the right side as there was no real reason to put it all up. On that side, there were 6 chairs, all of which had someone sitting in them. In the middle, was a white podium with a mic. And on the left...

"Whoa...." There was Nikolai, or rather, a picture of him. There stood a white easel that had a picture of his old friend. Followers of all different kinds filled the area below the picture and weaved all around the legs of the seal. Next to it was another easel a wreath of white lilies and roses. It had a ribbon wrapped around it which was tied into a bow on the back. On the front, written in gold-lettered cursive was 'In memory of' It was extravagant, and to most it would be sincere. But to Four it looked...

"Off."

"Yeah. I thought so too." Four flushed. He hadn't realized he had said that out loud.  "I think it's because of the picture." Now that he mentioned it, the photo did look wrong.