Chapter 7: Building New Realizations

AN: I wrote this while hiding from my cousins at a family gathering. Oh, the joys of being the oldest.

"Who do they think they are?" One said. After having walked away from the line of people going to meet The Overseer, which had gotten longer while they had been talking to them, they were heading towards their next destination. "Who are they to judge us? They don't know anything."

"I dunno One. They seem pretty aware of everything." Two said, a look of surprise appearing on One's face. Four was pretty sure he was mirroring it "I mean...they know about Niles, Zero, and other universes. Normal people don't know that."

"They're an asshole Two. Plus they could be lying!" Four added.

Two nodded "I know that. But like they said, why would they lie? They're right, they have nothing to gain from doing so. Plus considering everything they've said...I don't think they're lying."

"Then how the hell do they know all that? Future sight doesn't explain the things they know. Sure, maybe they know about the God Box because of that but it doesn't explain other universes."

Two shrugs "Maybe we ask them."

One and Four imminently say no "Plus don't forget, they're still an asshole." Four adds and One nods, agreeing with him.

"I know. But being an asshole and being a villain isn't the same. I'm just saying, they seem to want to help. Maybe we should ask them to explain."

"Absolutely not. Who knows their motives? We can't let ourselves get manipulated like before. Unless we can all be 100% sure they don't have some type of ulterior motive, we should assume they're the enemy." One said. Two sighed but nodded, reluctantly agreeing

Four didn't really know what to say. On one hand, One is right. Sure, The Overseer is an asshole and definitely seems to have a problem with how they've dealt with things and aren't afraid to show it. They're keeping the anomaly hidden on purpose and enjoy toying with the mem guardians. But...

Two is right. They don't have a reason to lie and don't seem to be either. And from their attitude towards the past destruction, they clearly don't want the power of The God Box to ever cause any more mayhem. And from their attitude, they aren't afraid to share it. Heck, they want to. They just think they won't listen. Listen to what? What exactly don't they know? Sure, he and Three may not know a lot but One and Two have been doing this for over a decade. Maybe they don't know everything, but they know a lot.

"Hey Three...Three." Three still seems lost in thought "Three. Pay attention." Four taps his shoulder, and that causes him to snap out of it.

"Huh? Sorry. What were you guys talking about?"

"What do you think? Do you think The Overseer is trustworthy?"

Three paused, before shrugging "I don't know. Maybe. Part of me still thinks they're full of shit. But the other half thinks that maybe there's some truth to their words. Sure they're a dick and definitely were messing with us, but they know they shouldn't. Heck, they know things we didn't." 

"Look. We can discuss The Overseer later. Right now we need to ask E. Gadd to improve our scanner so we can find the anomaly. At least we go one thing out of this." One said. Three nodded, opening a portal.

"And that is?" Two asked, hopping through the portal

"That the anomaly exists." One said, stepping through,

'And apparently, it's a person.' Four's mind supplied 'A person who's supposedly suffered under the God Box like us...That is if we can believe them...'