Chapter One

A hot day after school could never get your spirits down. Sunlight falls through the trees, with hot pavement underneath your feet. No one but you, along with your two best friends, Aaron and Jake. Aaron is further ahead of you, walking with three ice cream cones in his hands. Jake has his arm around you as you walk together. He is holding Aaron's backpack in the other hand. For a moment, Aaron looks at you eagerly, and you notice ice cream slowly drip down his hand. As you approach your house, Aaron is in front of the door, licking ice cream off himself. You give him a playful push. "Hey!" he retaliates. You open the door with your keys, and Aaron quickly rushes in. You follow him and stand side by side while eating ice cream together. Drops of ice cream drip into the kitchen sink. Jake stretches his arms into the air and joins the two of you. "Hey, don't eat my ice cream too, Aaron!" he says as he stands behind him. "Too late; I'm already eating it," Aaron replies. Jake lowers himself to Aaron's shoulder places his hands on them and takes a bite of ice cream. "At least share," says Jake with a mouthful of ice cream. Aaron licks the ice cream before he bites down with his lips. Jake's cheek touches Aaron's, and you notice a slight redness on both of them. Is there a spark between you and your best friends? You wonder to yourself before you trail off the thought. You and the boys finish your ice cream and head for your bedroom to finish a school project. Jake sets backpacks on the floor and joins you against the end of your bed. Your knees lean on each other's and your legs touch the same coarse carpet. Fascinated by the things in your room. Aaron walks around and touches your things. "Okay, this seems easy enough," says Jake, pulling your eyes to him. "It looks like we just have to put together a presentation," he continues. Aaron eventually gets tired of your mystical room and sits beside you on the floor. You work for a long time.