Interlude

🎶: 'Keep An Eye On Dan' by ABBA

August 2020

It was a warm yet rainy day.

Clouds hung low in the sky, the sun nowhere in sight. Typical for a day in late August, the time where the summer bids farewell to the world.

A silver car pulled up to the street, parking next to the medium sized building. From the outside, it looked lovely.

It was built out of tan bricks, topped with a dark tiled roof, and colorful banners hung from the window sills.

Right beside it was a playground, containing swings, slides, a sand pit, monkey bars, and a little pond in the back.

A large golden plaque that had Sunflower Gold Kindergarten engraved on it hung on the wall, welcoming all the incoming parents and children.

Taehyun stepped out of his car, and opened the back door to unbuckle his son from his booster seat.

"Excited?" he asked with a smile.

Juhyeok shook his head.

"Not really... I'm kinda nervous."

"I'm sure it'll be great Juju, there's plenty of kids your age whom you can play with; you'll make friends."

"Friends?"

"Yes, friends."

"Hmm..."

A small smile formed on Juhyeok's chubby cheeks.

"Okay..."

He hopped out of the car, and Taehyun grabbed his backpack before shutting the door. He took his son by his hand, and together they walked towards the kindergarten.

Upon seeing the crowds of people, Taehyun felt himself grow... unsettled.

Many eyes were on them.

His sight fell on the families gathered around, and it didn't take him long to realize what was going on.

Those looks were familiar; he was given them at the supermarket very often.

"Dad, why are so many people staring at us?" Juhyeok asked.

Taehyun didn't have the heart to tell him.

So he came up with a white lie.

"Probably because you're so handsome for a 4-year-old."

Juhyeok giggled, completely innocent to the truth.

Taehyun only smiled, and kept his head high as much as he could. He entered the building with his son, and made their way towards the headmistress' office.

"... and this is his group, Petals," Mrs Lee explained.

Juhyeok peeked inside the room. It looked... cozy. There was a couch, a play corner, a few tables with chairs, shelves full of games or toys, and dozens of books to choose from.

Taehyun smiled at his son.

"You can do this Juju."

Juhyeok clung onto his father's leg.

"Can you stay here longer?"

"I have work, I'm sorry."

Taehyun knelt down and pinched his cheek lovingly.

"But I'll be here to pick you up at 4pm, okay? We'll go get ice cream, how does that sound?"

"That sounds great Dad."