Chapter 33

🎶: 'K.' by Cigarettes After Sex

Days have passed since the dinner date.

And this whole time... Taehyun was nowhere to be found at work.

He had called in sick, despite being physically healthy, but it didn't take him much to convince his boss he wasn't feeling well. His voice was so hoarse from all the crying and sobbing he's been doing all day and all night, it could pass for a sore throat.

Why didn't he go to work and distract himself from his current misery?

Well, how could Taehyun help track down a possible criminal with the detective department, when seeing or even thinking of a car crash victim's name just slightly similar to Soobin's was enough to bring him completely out of order?

The last thing Taehyun wanted was someone at work seeing him break down because of how emotionally unstable he was.

It wouldn't be the first time, and he didn't want a second time to happen again.

Friday, in the mid-afternoon, the doorbell rang. Taehyun barely lifted his head up from his pillow when he heard the sound, and sighed, laying back in bed.

I don't wanna get up.

Too bad for him; the ringing from the door unfortunately grew even more persistent.

Taehyun groaned and lifted the sheets, climbing out of bed.

Probably some delivery guy.

He slouched down the stairs, greasy haired and in a baggy white tee paired with gray sweatpants, the exact outfit he's been wearing for five days straight, and his eyes were dull and droopy, with heavy bags under them.

The house was dusty and a bit messy, but Taehyun already planned to clean up and vacuum before Juhyeok comes home.

Oh Juju... how will I tell him?

The brunette opened the door, and immediately straightened up seeing the one on his doorstep.

"What the hell are you doing here; you're supposed to be at work!"

"I could say the same for you."

Beomgyu pushed himself through the door frame and walked inside the house, carrying a box of munchkins from Dunkin' Donuts.

Taehyun closed the door again and slumped down on the couch, just as Beomgyu shoved a munchkin into his best friend's mouth.

Close to choking, Taehyun grabbed the sweet pastry and chewed on it before speaking.

"Care to explain why you're here?" he asked.

"One, your lame excuse 'my son is sick' is invalid cuz your son is as fit and healthy as a flip flop on his trip in Daegu. Second, both Kai and I have called your cell at least ten times a day the past week without a reply, and third..."

Beomgyu's nose scrunched up.

"You smell like you last showered ten years ago!"

"Wow, hurtful."

"Now, tell me what happened."

Taehyun folded his arms and looked away, indicating no.

"I'm not leaving this house until you tell me, and Kai already said I can sleep over on the couch if I need to," Beomgyu continued.

The brunette groaned.

"Why again am I friends with you?"

"Good that you're finally snapping back; I love those remarks."