Chapter 15

In spite of the harsh winter cold haunting the streets menacingly, the Sun never truly stopped shining. Regardless of how thick the clouds would get, with some time, its rays always found their way through them, appearing brighter than ever against the snow-covered landscape. And while the glitter like glimmer of the white city was undeniably a gorgeous sight, Candice failed to appreciated when the warm light managed to find her face directly the moment it made its way over her windowsill. Silently cursing herself for neglecting drawing her blinds the day before, she used a strategically placed pillow to block it out so she could rest a little more before her companion would inevitably wake up alongside her once the Sun discovered him too.

Even though a good couple of days had passed since Christmas eve, Lucas never went home after it. Candice wanted to be annoyed with him for leeching off of her, but she couldn't deny that waking up every day in his arms wasn't a bad deal at all. He was always pleasantly warm, no matter the temperature in the room, and his arm made a very comfortable pillow. His scent had always been very inviting, and comforting, to her at least, something about it just made her feel at ease. She slowly reached up, taking a hold of his hand, wrapping her fingers around his palm. She could've gotten used to this, that much was for certain.

"Why do you wake up so early every day...?" the man mumbled from behind her, reciprocating her squeeze gently. "You know sleeping in every once in a while won't ruin your life, right?"

"Tell the Sun to stop shining into my face, and then maybe I can sleep." she argued, turning around to face him. Without another word, he pulled her closer, placing her head against his chest, and wrapping his arms around her in a manner that his shoulder shielded her completely.

"There. No more Sun. Can we sleep some more now?" he asked with a yawn. Candice closed her eyes, a little flustered at his casual display of affection. She was yet to get used to it. But she was far from disliking it. It was the exact opposite, actually.

"... Only for a couple of minutes."
Those couple of minutes quickly turned into another hour. The girl never managed to get back to sleep, but once she could hear his breath become soft, and even, she didn't dare to move away in fear of waking him again. He wasn't a morning person after all, it was only natural he needed more rest in the early hours of the day. Not that she minded. She was plenty content relaxing in his embrace while he had his extra nap. Not that she would've ever admitted that to him.

"Do you want to actually try to do something today?" she asked, moving to get out of bed. Lucas just raised a brow, still halfway buried in the blankets and pillows.

"Is being lazy too much of a peasant activity to Your Highness?"

"Well excuse me for wanting to do something with my free time other than sleeping."

"It's quite literally freezing outside."

"That's the point you moron. We should do something we can't when it's warm." she argued. He let out a heavy sigh, but sat up at last.

"Fine." he obliged hesitantly. "How's ice skating sound then? There should be a rink nearby." he suggested off-handedly.

"I've never tried before." she admitted. Suddenly, the man's tired expression was replaced by a grin of mischief that immediately rang the alarm bell in Candice's head.

"Never?" he echoed, and she could only offer a small nod. "I'll teach you then. Get dressed." he instructed, jumping to his feet with a newfound excitement.

"I hate it when you do this."

"What, being happy?"

"There's always something sinister behind it."