7. bitter and sweet

I wait in the cramped cafe slowly tapping my feet as time ticks by.

It's almost 4, the time that we agreed to meet. Just as I'm about to check my watch for the time again, the dusty door swings open again, the rusty little bell on it ringing cheerily, and in steps Lacie.

She's wearing a sky blue sundress today along with a white cap that has clearly not done a good job at keeping her hair down in the windy weather. Her cheeks are flushed from the sun and some strands of her chestnut hair stick to them, making her fairer than ever. A halo of light enters the cafe with her. I blink and the ray of light disappears along with the closing door.

Shes early. A warm feeling rises in my chest and I lift my hand to wave at her. She sees me and walks over.

As she draws closer I realize that she's walking forward with a smile plastered on her face, but her body language gives away axactly hesitant she feels. I frown, why does she look so nervous? Her smile fades and I quickly switch over to a smile and stretch out my hand.

She shakes it.

Her hands are warm and fit perfectly within my own. I hold on for a second longer than I need to before letting go.

I then suddenly realize that I've just shaken hands with Lacie as if she was a client I was meeting. Not someone I'm going on a date with. I immediately open my mouth to fix the situation.

"Oh I'm sorry about that, I'm used to shaking hands with clients." I say.

She stares at me blankly. Clearly not understanding why I'm apologizing.

I try to explain, "I didn't mean to treat you like a client. I wanted to give you a better greeting than just a hand shake on our first date, but it looks like I've been a disappointment."

Lacie's face dawns with comprehension and a light brush spreads against her cheeks. She draws in a breath and draws her delicate shoulder blades together. "Well." She pauses looking at me hesitantly before drawing up her courage. "You could always start over again."

I stare at her for a second before grinning.

"Yeah I could."

She waits expectantly.

I sigh, "but I can't."

I look cautiously at her reaction. To be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing but for some god forsaken reason I asked Jonathan for advice and he told me to throw at as many flirtatious words out as possible.

I don't even know why I asked him, or why I'm about to listen to his advice. Especially since I have gone on dates before, and they went relatively well (ignoring the fact that none of them resulted in a relationship).

Lacie doesn't seem to be reacting negatively, so I go in tentatively for the big reveal, "Because I can't think of one. The only thing I can think about is how beautiful you are."

I choke on the last lines, cringing as they come out of out of me and my words stumble over one another.

Lacie stares at me with wide eyes before she starts laughing. Her eyes crease into crescent moons, and I stare at her, enchanted by how beautiful her laugh is. She covers her mouth as she continues to laugh, and I feel a twinge of regret that my view of her perfect smile has been blocked.

She continues laughing for a while before finally putting her hand down, "Would you like to try a third time, or will you just settle for the first greeting?"

My neck burns from embarrassment and my cheek twitches as I spit out a quick, "Keep the first one."

She smiles at me and grabs the menu in front of her. As she scours over what's on their menu, look down at mine as well.